Finally! Glad to be joining the club!

Ryan Kruse

Sorry guys, yet another question. I replaced the cfl with a 24" linear light fixture. If you look at the pictures in my previous post, the bottom one shows both my heat lamp in the corner of the enclosure and the cfl in the opposite corner of the top door. I hung the new light diagonal on that same side and was wondering if its ok of the uvb light crosses into the heat lamp area and vise versa? Is it enough to only have a 2' uvb light on a 6' cage? is it enough or should I add another lamp? I know, more than one question, but I want to make sure these guys get exactly what they need to be as healthy as they can be. Thanks again to everyone, you have all been very friendly and encouraging.

My guy will bask under the uvb when he needs to. You want to have an area that they can get out of the uvb if they feel the need too.

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Got it. Thanks. I keep re-arranging the enclosure trying to make it better and I'm not even sure why, they won't be here till Thursday! I'm sure once they get in there I'll find that it's arranged all wrong. Oh well, that's half the fun, plus I already have ideas for the outdoor enclosure this summer and the next indoor larger one. Is there a thread on here for possible tortoise addiction? If I'm having this much fun and haven't even gotten them yet, I can't wait to see what's going to happen when they get here. LOL.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good to have you here! ! ! Welcome.

And looks like you jump right in here with no issue at all! ! !!

Welcome!!!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry guys, yet another question. I replaced the cfl with a 24" linear light fixture. If you look at the pictures in my previous post, the bottom one shows both my heat lamp in the corner of the enclosure and the cfl in the opposite corner of the top door. I hung the new light diagonal on that same side and was wondering if its ok of the uvb light crosses into the heat lamp area and vise versa? Is it enough to only have a 2' uvb light on a 6' cage? is it enough or should I add another lamp? I know, more than one question, but I want to make sure these guys get exactly what they need to be as healthy as they can be. Thanks again to everyone, you have all been very friendly and encouraging.
This should be fine. You don't need another. The MVB that is really popular is heat and UVB in one.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Got it. Thanks. I keep re-arranging the enclosure trying to make it better and I'm not even sure why, they won't be here till Thursday! I'm sure once they get in there I'll find that it's arranged all wrong. Oh well, that's half the fun, plus I already have ideas for the outdoor enclosure this summer and the next indoor larger one. Is there a thread on here for possible tortoise addiction? If I'm having this much fun and haven't even gotten them yet, I can't wait to see what's going to happen when they get here. LOL.
Definitely an addiction. We all have it.

Don G

5 Year Member
Ann Arbor, MI
Welcome to the forum. From Michigan here as well and looking to also get my first tort soon. Hope your little guys are doing well.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Welcome to the forum. From Michigan here as well and looking to also get my first tort soon. Hope your little guys are doing well.

Thanks. Are you getting a Russian or something else? Just curious. So far the kids and I are really enjoying them.

Oh yeah........go Green!

Don G

5 Year Member
Ann Arbor, MI
No prob. I am going to be getting Red Foots. I always told myself that I would get a Red Foot after, in 12th grade, my horticulture teacher had one that had free roam of the greenhouse. I'll post some images when I get my set-up together and when I get the little guys.

...Go White!

axeman25

Central Michigan
No prob. I am going to be getting Red Foots. I always told myself that I would get a Red Foot after, in 12th grade, my horticulture teacher had one that had free roam of the greenhouse. I'll post some images when I get my set-up together and when I get the little guys.

...Go White!

Someday I will have a large enough space to accommodate all of the ones I would like to have. Right now I have plenty of room to add enclosures or even add onto the couple I have. I have wanted tortoises for years but held off because I wasn't sure I could provide them with the care they needed. Now I feel that I am ready and these three little guys needed a new home at the right time so I pulled the trigger. I am still a little uncertain as they came out of state from a friends neighbor who said he could no longer take care of them. After learning of the situation i felt it was better that I adopt them rather than let him sell them on craigslist to any Joe with the cash to buy them. The pictures of their home I was emailed made me upset. Three 5" tortoises living in a 29 gallon aquarium, unbelievable. I was a little nervous about the possibility of getting some that may have issues from not being taken care of properly but I figured that I could give them better years ahead than what they've dealt with. I hope it works out.

Good luck on your tortoise endeavor. I look forward to seeing some pictures of what your getting and their habitat. Thanks for the reply.

And "go white" was not what I expected from someone living in Ann Arbor. Lol. Thanks again.