1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

When do tortoises start burrowing?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Ciki, Jan 17, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Ciki

Ciki New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Yuma
    My delivery of cypress mulch came yesterday, which was great because it meant I could set up her new enclosure (it is much bigger now). Didn't think she (my tortoise) would care too much, but she actually burrowed underneath the substrate some time ago. It scared me because I couldn't see her lmao, but I poked around and saw the mulch move. I assume she burrowed under the cypress mulch instead of the original topsoil I had for her since topsoil can get dusty and into her eyes. Anyway, is it ok for this to be the first time for her to burrow (considering the conditions before)? She is about 6 months old and a sulcata.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Little ones can and will dig into the substrate for cover and humidity at any age.

Sulcatas don't typically start burrowing until they are over 12" long. There are exceptions to be sure, but most of them don't do it until they get bigger.
    Big Charlie likes this.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    There's a difference between "burrowing" and "making a burrow." Your baby is burrowing because he feels safe with all that substrate around his body. Later, when he's bigger, he's actually dig a tunnel with a turn-around at the end. This is a burrow.
    Big Charlie likes this.