Burrowing

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
So my sullys always burrowed . I've had him about a month now but the past few days he's been burrowing further and further into his closed chamber habitat . I didn't know if I should be worried if he will be trapped if his burrow collapses . Does this happen to anybody else ?

anthonyludo8

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I don't own a sully, but have you double checked the temps with a reliable gauge?

Yes I have multiple gauges in there and they're okay , it gets a little dry for a couple hours while I'm at work but almos all the time I have it 83 degrees ambient with a basking temp of 100 and humidity of 70-80%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What substrate are you using and how deep is it?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Do you have a hiding place for him to get away from the light? Before I found this Forum I had no idea that babies needed to have a hide. My baby would burrow into the substrate and stay there most of the time. Once I made a humid hide for him that was dark inside he used that instead of burrowing. I think I also reduced the depth of the substrate to about 4 inches when I added the hide. He would still dig a little into the moist coconut coir that I used in his hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The burrow might cave in, but he will easily be able to crawl out if it does. I'd love to see some pics of him in this burrow, or just the burrow.

Dobby The Tortoise

5 Year Member
Texas
I don't have any advice, sorry, but I would also love to see pictures :D
My sulcata burrows into a big pile of timothy hay :)