Dirty Face? Substrate?

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
IMG_2163.jpg
I have plain potting soil at bottom and cypress Mulch top. Can I use just cypress mulch? Looks like she’s been rooting around like a pig. Is it safe to use a soft bristled toothbrush and water to clean it? Also her butt and bottom is dirty. . She looks forward to me coming home from work because I let her roam outside, while I watch her like a hawk, she is fast!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes to both! However, I would recommend mixing coco coir with the mulch, or just use orchid bark. Cypress doesn’t hold humidity well alone.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Another ? ... my yard is pretty big, no matter where I put her down she goes straight for the milk thistle weeds, she loves the flowers and stalks because they are juicy!

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Yes to both! However, I would recommend mixing coco coir with the mulch, or just use orchid bark. Cypress doesn’t hold humidity well alone.

Thank you! I have orchid moss on hand, can I use that for now?

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
If it’s moss, I wouldn’t. They usually eat it :)

Thanks! I’ll try to find orchid mulch. She eats/tastes everything in her path outside but inside, she only eats what is on terra-cotta saucer, once she drags it in substrate she is done [emoji23]