burrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

flhxraider

5 Year Member
Burrowing looks good,i don't think it is dangeres.The ground is hard yet every day she is removing dirt.I just hope it never colaps.But i think she poops in her burrow,you can see remmnets.i don't like that.when is it to much.have vary big yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not quite sure what your question is. When is it too much poop in the burrow? Or when is the burrow too much? In the wild, that's what they do too. They poop and pee in the burrow to make it more humid and comfortable for them. If I've done it correctly, you're in New York, right? If you were in Arizona, a burrow would be ok, but I don't think its a good idea to allow your tortoise to dig a burrow there in New York. It will be extremely hard for you to get him out of it this fall when the weather starts to cool. They make burrows that go wa-a-a-ay deep...too deep for you to reach the tortoise. My suggestion would be for you to take the shovel and collapse the burrow some day when he is out of it, and block it off so he can't get back in there. Then make sure he has a cool spot...a shed or nice dog house in the shade...where he can go and feel safe.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Yvonne's answer. What is your plan when cooler weather hits? Are you taking her indoors, or providing a heated area?

flhxraider

5 Year Member
This is cool,thanks for the reply.No i am in Oxnard California.It is by the coast. Between Santa Barbara and Malibu. I just did not like seeing her poop come out of the whole as she cleared more dirt out. Thinking that it was not healthy. It makes sense that it could be good for humidity. The dirt here

flhxraider

5 Year Member
This is cool,thanks for the reply.No i am in Oxnard California.It is by the coast. Between Santa Barbara and Malibu. I just did not like seeing her poop come out of the whole as she cleared more dirt out. Thinking that it was not healthy. It makes sense that it could be good for humidity. The the soil here

flhxraider

5 Year Member
This is cool,thanks for the reply.No i am in Oxnard California.It is by the coast. Between Santa Barbara and Malibu. I just did not like seeing her poop come out of the whole as she cleared more dirt out. Thinking that it was not healthy. It makes sense that it could be good for humidity. The the soil here

flhxraider

5 Year Member
This is cool,thanks for the reply.No i am in Oxnard California.It is by the coast. Between Santa Barbara and Malibu. I just did not like seeing her poop come out of the whole as she cleared more dirt out. Thinking that it was not healthy. It makes sense that it could be good for humidity. The soil here is very good. When it hardens it is like a dirt clout. But if you dig down 8 feet you will hit sand. The question would be should I collapse the borough anyway and use a doghouse just because it is safer? Thanks Kate it does not get cold hear 50's.I would take her indoors.Hardly rains

flhxraider said:
This is cool,thanks for the reply.No i am in Oxnard California.It is by the coast. Between Santa Barbara and Malibu. I just did not like seeing her poop come out of the whole as she cleared more dirt out. Thinking that it was not healthy. It makes sense that it could be good for humidity. The soil here is very good. When it hardens it is like a dirt clout. But if you dig down 8 feet you will hit sand. The question would be should I collapse the borough anyway and use a doghouse just because it is safer? Thanks Kate it does not get cold hear 50's.I would take her indoors.Hardly rains

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it doesn't get lower than the 50s, you can even just provide a heated doghouse (ceramic heat emitter hung from the ceiling, even using a thermostat) or shed and never have to take her inside. It would be tough to house a full grown Sulcata indoors, even for a night or two! Most of the houses in California don't have basements either.

I'll revert to Yvonne about the burrow safety.

flhxraider

5 Year Member
what is the cut off anything lower than 50s. bring her into a shed?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Burrowing is what tortoises do! If your low is 50's in the cold months, it sounds like you have a perfect climate for a burrow! JMHO!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I live in camarillo, and winters here would be a little on the cool side for sulcatas, The burrow could be fine for the summer which is like 70s-80s during the day, high 50s low 60s at night. When winter rolls around you might want to have a shed or something for the cooler days which can get lower then 50s, and we get some rain and the worse part is its always cold rain which is not good. If you start planing a shed now by winter he could have a nice heated area and cool area for the hotter days, He will most likely not burrow if he has this.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The temperatures a tort will like will vary, but the thing with the shed is that you could make a doggie door (flap style) and have the shed with heat even if necessary. The tort would choose to go inside when it pleases.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Forgot to mention where i live its 5 miles from oxnard Ca where he's from, so when i was talking about the winters is here its because we have almost the same winters..

Status
Not open for further replies.