When do tortoises start burrowing?

Ciki

Location (City and/or State)
Yuma
My delivery of cypress mulch came yesterday, which was great because it meant I could set up her new enclosure (it is much bigger now). Didn't think she (my tortoise) would care too much, but she actually burrowed underneath the substrate some time ago. It scared me because I couldn't see her lmao, but I poked around and saw the mulch move. I assume she burrowed under the cypress mulch instead of the original topsoil I had for her since topsoil can get dusty and into her eyes. Anyway, is it ok for this to be the first time for her to burrow (considering the conditions before)? She is about 6 months old and a sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Little ones can and will dig into the substrate for cover and humidity at any age.

Sulcatas don't typically start burrowing until they are over 12" long. There are exceptions to be sure, but most of them don't do it until they get bigger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a difference between "burrowing" and "making a burrow." Your baby is burrowing because he feels safe with all that substrate around his body. Later, when he's bigger, he's actually dig a tunnel with a turn-around at the end. This is a burrow.