When can I put my redfoot outside?

TuckerDucker

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a 3-year-old redfoot tortoise. He's about 5-6 inches. He's been indoors the entire 3 years. We're making him a new indoor enclosure, but we might move before the enclosure's done. Instead of temporarily reassembling his current enclosure at the new place, I was thinking of putting him outside until the new one is done. Is a 3-year-old redfoot big enough to go outside? Could we use concrete blocks and put chicken wire on top?

We're in mid Missouri for context

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't just go outside full time. I prefer to acclimate them with short spans of time outside over a period weeks or months.

5-6 inches is large enough to spend all day outside, but he'll need a heated shelter for night and cooler days.

And right now its WAYYYYY to cold.

TuckerDucker

Missouri
I wouldn't just go outside full time. I prefer to acclimate them with short spans of time outside over a period weeks or months.

5-6 inches is large enough to spend all day outside, but he'll need a heated shelter for night and cooler days.

And right now its WAYYYYY to cold.
That's a good point. This would be in May, but it'll still be pretty chilly at night then. I have a spare 8 sq ft bin I'll probably use as an indoor overnight stay.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's a good point. This would be in May, but it'll still be pretty chilly at night then. I have a spare 8 sq ft bin I'll probably use as an indoor overnight stay.
I bring my RF inside if it gets below 55 at night, and I have heated night houses.

If will be below 60 for more than 48 hours, they will stop digesting food and start to be susceptible to respiratory issues.

TortoiseSupply.com