Can i put him outside?

bmeza2

Location (City and/or State)
Austin
Hi, I have a 3 year old african tortuous. I was wondering when can I put him out side. Also I live in Austin Texas so is it good for him when I put him outside?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How big (straight shell length ) is he?

He can go out on any sunny, warm day now. Just not all day until he's a bit bigger.

bmeza2

Austin
Oh, sorry he's two years. I just realized that I posted 3. But I feed him every day and bath him twice a month, but he does have a walk in water bowl

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I agree with the above - that small a size would have me worried to put him outside. What are you feeding him and how are you housing him now? I'd up the baths to daily. Dehydration is a big concern with little tortoises, especially if you're somewhere hot and dry.

bmeza2

Austin
20160909_180527.jpg
I feed him lettuce, he is in a indoor tank.

20160909_180527.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bmeza2

Austin
I am also really worried for his size too. So I'm hoping putting him outside will help with that. But his outside habitat will be covered in a gated area

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
He's dehydrated and malnourished. You need daily soaks and a lot more variety in his diet than lettuce. What do you do for UVB indoors?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Putting him outside would be good but a few things come into play, is the yard chemical free so he could eat grass and weeds. You will only want to put him out for a little while starting out and watch him closely. After you bring him inside its a must that he be soaked.

Is lettuce the only thing you feed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Read those threads that Sarah linked for care tips. And this one too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hatchlings can go outside from day one, but you'll need a safe, secure enclosure and they shouldn't be out for too long. I let larger ones stay outside longer and longer and I move them outside full time with a heated night box when they reach about 8-10". This is usually at around 12-18 months.

bmeza2

Austin
Its a salad mix, and thank you for the info. But the tortuous is my half sister pet ( she's 8) and I only see it every other weekend. But I make sure its feed and taken care of. And that is why I am here to make sure that the care it is in is good.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's great of you to help, do the best you can,

bmeza2

Austin
Also what is a good bedding, I'm using rabbit pelts. But I just found out that's bad so what do I use.

bmeza2

Austin
Ah thanks for the support. I have a reptile of my own so I feel the need to help the little guy out

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Coco coir would be best, it will hold much needed humidity for the little one. If you can post a picture of the enclosure to let us see what we can do to help.

bmeza2

Austin
Its a little dirty but I am going to clean it

14734662361921607985900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

legan52

Chicago
I'm far from an expert but I've read all the care sheets and looked at enough "ideal" enclosure setups to be able to say that the tank is tiny and the water dish needs to go, to begin with. I'll post my tank because it's the only setup I have saved on my phone, others could show you even better.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473474469.842113.jpg