When to upgrade redfoot enclosure??

Shaybe13

Location (City and/or State)
Roanoke, VA
Hi everyone!

I have an approximately 9 month old redfoot and am wanting to upgrade his enclosure. He's growing like a champ and his current enclosure is getting on the small side. I am planning on going ahead and building a tortoise table but want to make sure that the climate is good for his age.

Right now his enclosure is temperature controlled at around 80-85 and the humidity is above 70%. Does his new enclosure need to have the same climate or is he old enough to start creating more of a temperature gradient and lower humidity? I looked around and can't really find anything on when to stop treating them like fragile hatchlings. Please help!

Shaybe13

Location (City and/or State)
Roanoke, VA
Redfoot require the same temperatures and humidity as they grow.
But adults are less likely to show pyramiding from a lower humidity.
Hi everyone!

I have an approximately 9 month old redfoot and am wanting to upgrade his enclosure. He's growing like a champ and his current enclosure is getting on the small side. I am planning on going ahead and building a tortoise table but want to make sure that the climate is good for his age.

Right now his enclosure is temperature controlled at around 80-85 and the humidity is above 70%. Does his new enclosure need to have the same climate or is he old enough to start creating more of a temperature gradient and lower humidity? I looked around and can't really find anything on when to stop treating them like fragile hatchlings. Please help!
I ended up discovering "cold frames" today and it will be perfect! The only problem is that they don't have a base so I'd have to make one myself. Any ideas??

Here are the two options I was thinking of

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-104427.png
    Screenshot_20210628-104427.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210628-104620.png
    Screenshot_20210628-104620.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 26

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!