What kind of tortoise is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Appears to be a Red-foot..................

M

Maggie Cummings

It's definitely a box turtle, but for a positive ID we need for you to take some better pictures.
They are totally different species. Box turtles are not tortoises, he will want a damp substrate with lots of humidity in the air and live food to eat as well as fruits. While some will eat greens most will not until they are trained to do that. I'd offer berries and live worms, super worms night crawlers. I feed trout chow and lots of different fruits.
Let us know when you get it...Here is a care sheet for you to read. You will see just how different they are...

http://aboxturtle.com/

FrankieSue71

5 Year Member
I feed my box turtle earthworms, mealworms, red and green pepper, chopped cactus pads, dandelion greens, and slugs, among other things. And just to warn you, box turtles can be fussy eaters-Wheel wouldn't eat the first 2-3 weeks I had him, not even the earthworms. So don't panic if that happens at first, just keep offering food. Once the turtle is comfortable, he'll start eating. Wheel is a hog now...if I let him, he'd get obese, I'm sure.

My 2 Russian tortoises were never shy about eating, thankfully. They were chowing down in the car on the way home!

Status
Not open for further replies.