What kind of tortoise is this?

jgeigley

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Hello! We recently discovered a friend of ours owns this tortoise and we are concerned about his beak/general well-being. They want to re-home so we have offered to take him. We currently own a Russian tortoise and are working right now on building a separate enclosure for this new guy so they can each have their own space ... but we don't know what kind of tortoise this is (and the current owners don't know either.)

Priority #1 is his poor beak, so don't worry. We will take care of that at the vet right away. I don't know if he can even eat properly with that thing.

Any other advice would be appreciated!

tortoise.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a three toed box turtle and he does need a beak and nail trim pretty badly.

jgeigley

Iowa
That's a three toed box turtle and he does need a beak and nail trim pretty badly.
Yep, ditto what @Toddrickfl1 said. How in the world do ppl let the beaks/claws get like this AND think it’s ok?

Glad u r rescuing!

Good luck

Thank you!! Yes, as soon as we saw this pic we were like 'We'll take him." Yikes. Poor guy. I'm not sure how long they've had him but wow.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Thanks for taking him. yes that beak is a nightmare. I hope you have a local vet who is familiar with turtle care.