What type of turtle/tortoise is this?

snoop

5 Year Member
My friend owns this turtle. She found it in Hawaii ten years ago and has had it ever since. I dont believe it to be native there since I cannot find it any where as a native species. I am wondering what kind of turtle/tortoise this is so I can give her proper instructions dealing with diet/lighting/care etc... I would really like to help this little guy out. Please help...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    475 KB · Views: 166
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    554 KB · Views: 148
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    384.5 KB · Views: 159

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Is that what the turtle looks like now, after ten years? That looks to be a horribly kept three toed box turtle. It makes me very sad.

That turtle is so dry, too. Can you direct your friend to this website ASAP?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Wow. Please, tell your friend to fix EVERYTHING about how they are caring for this little guy. First, that is a box turtle. They are considered by many to be semi-aquatic. They NEED a place to swim and soak. Some of mine will soak and swim for HOURS. They need dirt to dig and hide in. Moist, loose dirt with plants in it. They also NEED protein. Live worms and stuff like boiled eggs and chicken. Also raw lean beef and fruits and berries. They should not be fed that box turtle food to exclusion. I am really not trying to be rude, but your friend needs to really get that poor little guy to someone who can care for her. Box turtles are hearty as rocks and for that turtle to get to that would have taken an extremely unfriendly environment or some or some sort of birth defect.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I'm glad it has a new owner because to be 10 years old and that size is incredibly disturbing . I would quickly make the adjustments listed above. Good luck

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yeah what they said, get rid if those pellets and add dirt or coco coir instead!!! :)

snoop

5 Year Member
Could one of you direct me to a website with a full care sheet that I could print off and use? So it is a three toed box turtle I believe. It only has three claws on its hind legs but it looks like there may be a forth toe, but the small fourth toes are clawless.

kesh2l

5 Year Member
It kinda looks like my tammy she is a three toed box turtle and yes they do soak in water in fact tammy has been in her pool all day so far and has dug out a den under her log where she likes to Barry herself she loves her worms and grass hoppers and crickets i didn't know i could feed them the other stuff so i will most defiantly be improving her diet

stephjoe

Honolulu HI
Looks like a Louisiana Three-Toed Boxturtle. I've kept these before in Hawaii. There are no native turtles or tortoises here except seaturtles