What kind of tortoise is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This summer i am babysitting a tortoise for a friend. I have not seen the tortoise, but i know it has mostly black, but has yellow, and red scales. It's not very big, about 5 inches. What kind of tortoise is this?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Would have to see a picture. Could be a redfoot or perhaps a box turtle.

M

Maggie Cummings

I see nothing...did you post a picture? There's thousands of different species of turtles and tortoises, are you thinking we can take a guess from your description?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Great PowersSax911 when we are able to see it we should be able to tell you what it is. Looking forward to seeing its pics.
Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
Here he or she is. I don't know how to sex terrapins. Anyways sry for the poor quality on the phone, i don't have another camera

Attachments

• Tort.jpg
    Tort.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 85

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It is some kind of box turtle. Not a tortoise at all.

M

Maggie Cummings

It looks like a mix Eastern box turtle and maybe Midland? However, you need to know exactly what it is so you can care for it using the specifics of it's own species...Can you take clearer pictures with one of the whole turtle? Carapace and face?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Looks like a male Three-toed, Terrapene carolina triunguis. I used to have a male with a reddish purple head like that. :D

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

come on now! That's WAY too much color for a three toed...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I just wish I had a good camera back than :p I've had some male Three-toeds that would blow your socks off, color wise. :D

Danny

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I had a lot of colorful 3 toeds too, its hard to see the shell though, it looks dark, if he can get a better shot of the shell then its very possible its a 3 toed.

M

Maggie Cummings

Most of the 3-toed I've had are plain brown. I have 2 female who have just turned 5 and they just started getting spots and color last year...I stand by my opinion...no 3-toed has that much color on his legs and face...none...:D

M

Maggie Cummings

If it wasn't for me your life would be really boring! Just think of how often I make you look good!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Here was one of my old 3 toeds she was one of my most colorful:

DSC03748.jpg

DSC02933.jpg

DSC02934.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

My colony of 3-toed has females with beautiful spots and my male has black and white pattern with a rose flush that is just starting now. But I haven't seen a 3-toed with those vibrant red spots like in the OP...
Here's one of my females and the male. It's kind of hard to see that red flush that he is getting. And you can see the bright spots this female has...

2prbcm1.jpg

25hh0zr.jpg

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
Well i just discovered that when you get your fingers close to his face, his shell closes over his entire head area so you can't see his head and barely see his arms. I've got more pics coming so just hang on for a little while more

Also, the owner wasn't very specific on food and i have never owned a box turtle(i think). What would be a good menu for food? All he's been eating are pellets which are okay, but his shell is a little chipped so i tried kale for a calcium boost, but he didn't touch his. I try to feed the same stuff i give my greek, but they're totally different turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.