What kind of turtle is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me what kind of turtle this is and if it's male or female? I think it is an Ornate but am not sure and am unsure of sex as his tail seems to have been bitten off at some time.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
its a eastern box turtle, can you get pictures of the underside. Plastron shots can help us out on the sexing

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is an Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina carolina, like Kyle said and most likely a female.

Danny

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Millerlite said:
its a eastern box turtle, can you get pictures of the underside. Plastron shots can help us out on the sexing

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a hint for you: even though you can't see the tail, the male's eyes are usually orange or red. During breeding season, they eyes get a really bright, vivid orange or red, then later in the season they tame down a bit.

Yvonne

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Agreed, Eastern Box and female....keep in mind many female easterns have red eyes as well, although more typically brown or yellow, red eyes are found in females of this species quite often.

The red eye of a male is usually on the more flourescent side and may even be pink-ish. When females have red eyes it is usually a deep red and at times very vibrant.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yes its a female. I use to have a female with red eyes, but your turtle has a fairly high dome shell and flat plastron pretty safe to say its female. plus danny said it how much more do we need, lol.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can usually tell sex on Easterns with shell shape, rear foot size and head shape. Eye color helps some too. You almost don't need to see the plastron.
With that said :p Like everyone else, I agree you do have a female :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.