• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Hey TFO!!!!!!! I was currently at the store and saw many of my torts favorite foods. But I thought, what is my tortoises' favorite food. I had the poll posted because I want to try to give my tortoise the best tasting food that's also good for him if I don't have your choice post comment. Thanks :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!:tort::tort::D:D:tort::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious why this is in the debatable topic section.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's a tough question for my tortoises because I have some that hands down love the grasses, but others love cactus. I have some that gobble up the mazuri but others that won't touch it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
ALDABRAMAN said:
Favorite does not mean the best for them!
That is very true. Like many torts, Joe would always eat red foods first given the opportunity... but they're not good for him!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
At this point, the sulcata will pretty much eat any greens, fruits or vegetables I put in front of him. He still doesn't graze much and doesn't like hay either.

The redfoots of course, love Mazuri. They generally will eat most greens and other veggies/fruits, although strangely, they don't go bananas for, well, bananas.

They ALL love hibiscus flowers, though!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
StudentoftheReptile said:
The redfoots of course, love Mazuri. They generally will eat most greens and other veggies/fruits, although strangely, they don't go bananas for, well, bananas.

That is strange. Redfoots supposedly love bananas, and the one I had was no exception. Interesting that yours are.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
GeoTerraTestudo said:
StudentoftheReptile said:

That is strange. Redfoots supposedly love bananas, and the one I had was no exception. Interesting that yours are.

I know. I hardly EVER offer bananas to them for that reason, but the wife had half of one leftover the other day, and I went ahead and used it. The tortoises usually rush to the food dish the moment I put it in the morning, but the bananas stayed there for half the day before they finally came out and took a few bites. I came back later and most of the banana had turned brown and dried up.:p I was surprised.

The sulcata will eat it though.:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll tell you their favorite, when you tell me how to tell...

Mine eat everything I put in front of them. I don't perceive them "liking" and one food item more than any other.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
I'll tell you their favorite, when you tell me how to tell...

Mine eat everything I put in front of them. I don't perceive them "liking" and one food item more than any other.

I interpret "liking" by how fast they gobble something up. With some food items, they approach the plate very quickly, their eyes wide and their necks outstretched. And then they just chow down, taking bite after bite in quick succession. This is how my guys tend to eat arugula and dandelion more than anything else. Granted, they can get bored with anything, but as long as I keep the diet varied, they seem to eat those two plants faster than any other.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
I do that for my 2 sulcatas. After I feed them the dandelions, they follow me around. They love them!!!!!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Hmmmm....all of them? They eat whatever I put out for them. I don't think they have a real favorite...but if i have to trick them into taking medicine...banana always works for me.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
3, 4, 5, 6 11 and 12 are well-liked choices w/ my 4, but they also eat other things, too...hard the guess what their favorite is, though.

*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********​

neuroticpreschoolteachers said:
kurmaraja12 said:
Same here! My guy loves arugula and dandelion leaves like its going out of style

Can I just pick dandelions out of my yard and give to my redfoot, Tank?

As long as you make sure they've not had weed poison sprayed on them, that's fine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
neuroticpreschoolteachers said:
How about honeydew and cantaloupe is that ok the feed them?

If your tort is one of the species that can't process sugars, eg Testudo (Greeks, Russians, etc) and Sulcata, then all sweet foods should be avoided.... Fruit, carrots, bell peppers and tomatoes are all sweet as are all melons.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
alben909 said:
Hey TFO!!!!!!! I was currently at the store and saw many of my torts favorite foods. But I thought, what is my tortoises' favorite food. I had the poll posted because I want to try to give my tortoise the best tasting food that's also good for him if I don't have your choice post comment. Thanks :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!:tort::tort::D:D:tort::tort:

Mine will devour romain lettuce in minutes! He won't eat his spinach though hmmm.... I also find he's afraid of the color Red. Anyone else's tortoise afraid of a certain color?

Status
Not open for further replies.