Your Hermanns Favorite Food

Justin90

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I like to switch up my Ella's food about every week or so. I will usually get a package of mix of baby leaf spring lettuces (minus spinach) and then switch it out with some sort of greens and kale (all is organic). I will also include a couple pieces of carrots, butternut squash, cactus, or bell pepper (she LOVES squash and cactus). About once a month I will sprinkle some calcium powder on her food.

SO my question for all you Hermanns owners is: What do you feed your tort? Whats your torts favorite? Ella.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I feed my torts only weeds, their favorites are almost any kind of flowers and mallow (and of course things like slugs or poo :p).

Gery

Our lady has dandelion, baby bok choi leaves, collard greens daily, with mazuri
fine twice a week.

Justin90

Texas
I feed my torts only weeds, their favorites are almost any kind of flowers and mallow (and of course things like slugs or poo :p).

They will eat slugs? When I see dandelions in the yard I always grab a few before the land lords mow them down. She seems to love flowers as well.

surfergirl

My Herman eats everything like it is his favorite. He cracks me up how he hauls mail (tortoise speed mail carriers:))to the food pile.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
New York, New York
My baby Hermann eats mostly organic weeds (dandelion, clover, plantain...) but he seems to really love frisée so I'll feed it to him once in a while.

IMG_1525.JPG

TiffytheTort

My torts favourite is pellets but also loves dandelion, cucumber, weeds and tomatoes ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496069520.210504.jpg my Chillin tort :D

Justin Gleiter

West Central Wisconsin
Right now Sheldon loves clover. He has a diet of clover, dandelion and plantain. On occasion I try and feed him some hostas but he has only taken a few bites of it. I am trying to find some wild violet to try. Soon I will be in need of some Mazuri or something to get him started for the winter. Are there any other flowers that I could be looking for him?

Melissa Butler

Alfie loves his collard greens. I try to mix it up by adding kale, peas, carrots and green beans. He hates the green beans and carrots, but enjoys the peas. He also loves a little watermelon once or twice a month.

I'm getting some thornless cactus pads and dandelion seeds in the mail. I'm excited for Alfie to try them.

Attachments

Huw

Liverpool
I put an echevaria in monty's house and he's destroyed it! Ate every last bit.

Moozillion

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Elsa loves red hibiscus flowers- NOT pink, NOT orange, NOT yellow: red and ONLY red!!!!! :p
She also loves sow thistle, cucumber, nasturtium leaves, and mazuri. :)

stevenf625

Rhialto loves raddicio so much I should have named him raddicio.
He likes artichoke hearts.
Has stopped liking flowers.
When let loose in the yard he seeks out cat poop and worse so I always have to keep close watch.
upload_2017-6-27_11-49-59.png

Huw

Liverpool
Rhialto loves raddicio so much I should have named him raddicio.
He likes artichoke hearts.
Has stopped liking flowers.
When let loose in the yard he seeks out cat poop and worse so I always have to keep close watch.
View attachment 211272
Hi Steven!
We couldnt get monty to eat Artichoke. It was too tough for him to bite through. Any tips?
And i hate to ask but...whats worse to eat than cat poop?!

Justin90

Texas
Hi Steven!
We couldnt get monty to eat Artichoke. It was too tough for him to bite through. Any tips?
Is your tort small? maybe wait till its bigger. And my tort ate a small snake skeleton...not sure if that beats poop though haha

stevenf625

Hi Steven!
Trader Joe's artichokes are what I feed R.
Soft and chewy when thawed. I think its the chewy texture he likes.
Plain artichoke hearts with nothing added but a bit of vitamin C to keep from browning.

Whats worse than cat poop? - carion.
Supposed to be a vegetarian but I swear he's sniffing for corpses.
Last week he was digging around where a mouse or mole must have been killed previously. Nothing really left for him to eat (things don't last long here in the humid heat) but I had to pull a tuft of fur out of his mouth at one point and transport him to a different part of the yard to get him to stop messing with it.

Last edited:

Huw

Liverpool
Oh deary me! They are odd little geezers arent they!
But a snake skeleton! Thatll take some beating!

Thanks for the artichoke tip off. Dont have Trader Joe's in the UK but i'll keep an eye out.

I guess Monty is pretty small. He's 7 so is he pretty much full grown?

eternalnewb

5 Year Member
BC, Canada
My Hermanns lil' Tort is so much more picky than Torty my Russian, but his favourite foods are definitely endive, radicchio, and baby bok choy.