What is your favorite dog breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
For pets: great Dane or Standard Poodle. With just a minimum of training and know-how, both of these breeds usually turn out to be fantastic pets.

For workers my list is long: Jack Russels, pit bulls, american bulldogs, border collies, kelpies, Queensland Heelers, Patterdale terriers, Dutch Shepards... But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, tops a Malinois. They are the supreme working dog of the universe. They have no health problems, no joint problems, no skin, coat, or digestive problems, no eye problems, no deafness problems... Just no problems. They are a tremendous amount of work and need to be on skilled hands, but they are capable of anything. They are usually terrible in a typical "pet" situation, but if you have a job for them, or if training is your hobby, there is nothing better. They make a German Shepard seem stupid and a border collie seem slow.

I literally found a Malinois running along the side of the road a couple miles from anywhere. I picked her up and tried for weeks to find the owner, but no luck, so I got her spayed, treated her skin infections, and found a home for her. 2 days at her new home she climbed over the fence never to be seen again. She was definitely a wanderer who needed a job. I really hope she ended up somewhere safe, with someone who can keep her occupied. She was an awesome dog, though.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I think I'm a little like GTT. I am drawn to mutts as opposed to purebreds, but in general I like dogs that "look like dogs." i.e. breeds not far from the general body type with fewer health issues.

I have always liked huskies and GSDs, but most big dogs are awesome in my book. Known a few boxers that were fun. My family has always had little dogs for the most part, and the only ones I liked were dachsunds. They were small, but at least they looked more like dogs than other breeds.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I love GSDs, but if I were to ever get one I would get one from Germany, the ones in America are practically a different breed anymore. My very first dog was a lab/husky mix... she was the best dog ever, I miss her so much.

Did you have miniature dachsunds or standard? It's amazing how few standard dachsunds there are anymore, I think I have only ever actually seen one or two.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
They were miniature, although we did have a standard once that was a stray.

I was thinking about that yesterday about how so many are accustomed to seeing mini dachsunds, they would be astonished to see a standard.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
We have GSD and adore them, We have a sweet Pit Bull whose been in the family 11 yrs.
Prior to her arrival the media had me syked how bad Pits were. And we have both a Min Pin and 2 German Pinchers.
I think raised and socialized right PITS RULE :) However my GSD's are great deterants for people
coming in the yard. In her younger days I'd bet on my Pit for watching the yard and protecting us.
But she's an older girl. However the ones to really fear at our home is the female GSD and the male German Pincher.
NO ONE is getting in the yard if Rocky is out.
Hard to pick a fav breed. I love pembroke welsh corgi's for herding
Pit's and GSD's for companions and personal protection
and German Pincher's for guarding property. They may be little but they are mighty and
very very suspicious of strangers. :0

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Any devout terrier fans out there? Send me a PM or email!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have the english breed of the golden retriever and he is white! He is not albino though, its the natural color.

image-1835001617.png

Tracy

5 Year Member
UK
Has to be Border Collies closely followed by German Shepherds, such wonderful breeds, & so giving. I love my boyz!! Xx

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Alan RF said:
I've got a bedlington terrier her name is missie :)

View attachment 27340

Years ago when I was showing my Shar-Pei and we went AKC, I was going to get another breed to show. I was debating between a Bull Terrier and a Bedlington. Circumstances changed and I stopped showing. Many years later I went with the bully that I now have. I think the Bedlingtons are so unique.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have a GSD now and she's my second one and she is a real handful, I love her dearly but sometimes I just wanna strangle that damn dog. My next dog will be a lap dog. Something soo tiny that it can sit in my lap when I drive around.

However, if I ever did get another dog i'm becoming more and more a fan of Central Asian Shepherds.

Linky

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My ultimate favorite dog is a rottweiler. They are just fascinating... but what I have now and my favorite is my Doberman. They are so easy to train, very good watch dogs, good with kids, all so very protective. Just an all around smart dog. I have had all kinds of dogs from mutts to pure breeds. By far they are the smartest.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
My favorite Breed by far is a Doberman. I've been a dog trainer for over 5 yrs and have worked with a variety of dogs and there is nothing that compares. They do work as Seeing Eye dogs, therapy dogs, search and rescue dogs and of course protection. They excel at all fields. They are considered to be in the top 5 smartest breeds, though I think in the top 3. They are athletic and have great endurance.

My number one reason is this!! They have what I call the "Step back Factor". Most people rush up to touch your lab or retriever without even so much as a hello. they say wow cool dog and are all over it. When a Doberman walks in most people say wow cool dog as they Take a step back and ask its name. Touching my dog without asking is Never ok. hahaha

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
We're thinking of getting a Canaan dog or Canaan dog mix sometime in the near future. They look really cool, and are healthy wildtype pariah/shepherding dogs:

CanaanDog3.jpg

They are medium-to-large in size, and have short, dense coats that don't shed very much and are easy to maintain. They like to bark as sentinels, but are not particularly noisy. Sounds like a great combination to me. Anyone here have any experience with them? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My favorite breed is a good old MUTT! But if i had to pick a purebred it would be an Australian Sheperd. I have never had one. But i plan to rescue one some day. I also love Shar Peis! For now my favorite breed is my Leroy! He is a Shar Pei/Lab. Beat dog i have ever had. Way to smart for his own good and soo very loyal. He is a total mama's boy. Here is a picture of him sporting his pink breast cancer awareness bandana!
IMG_20121008_064317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johin

5 Year Member
RE: My favorite dog breed.!

my favorite dog breed is german shepherd and boxer dog , I have also one
german shepherd in my house. his name is zudddo and he is extra ordinary active than other dog, now I want to own another dog from boxer dog breed, ......[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.