What is your favorite dog breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I see a lot of people here have German Shepherds.

I am more of a border collie person myself. I am very active in a Border Collie Rescue and sometimes have two fosters at a time, so if anyone wants a Border Collie I can hook you up. :)

Is there anyone else out there that is attached to one breed?

Ah, what the heck, I'm going to throw in a picture, I can't help it.

This was my first and by far my favorite foster, he was such an insane dog but I loved that about him :rolleyes:

Neil_stare.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute pup. My all time favorite breed, that I will never stray from again is the Chinese Shar-Pei. The love of my life of animals.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
wellington said:
Very cute pup. My all time favorite breed, that I will never stray from again is the Chinese Shar-Pei. The love of my life of animals.

Is their grooming maintenance hard? I've heard all these horror stories of bacterial infections or fungus starting to grow in their folds. Sounds nasty.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
futureleopardtortoise said:
wellington said:

Is their grooming maintenance hard? I've heard all these horror stories of bacterial infections or fungus starting to grow in their folds. Sounds nasty.

Mostly grossly over stated. I used to raise them, and show them. I never had any of those problems and never had to do any extra maintenance. Barely anything to brush, then bathe, cut nails, clean ears, done. They don't live long, but that seems to be getting better. They potty train themselves as puppies if you set them up right and fleas don't like the gel under their skin, so very little flea problems, unless you already have a large flea problem. I had 5-7 adults living in my house at all times and some of the time one or two litters of puppies, 4-5 pups usually. I never had one flea. I did this from 1980 to 1992, when I move out of state. My last one, not from the ones I raised in showed, a whole separate thing, just a pet, not a show dog too, died several years ago. I always wanted a Bull Terrier, so I took that leap and bought one. Love her to death. I won't do it again. When this one is no longer with us. I will go back to the Shar-Pei and never stray again. I miss having one terribly. I just don't have the right size house for two running and playing dogs. The Bully does not care what or who she runs into. She is just like a Bull in a China shop, seriously.:D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
wellington said:
Mostly grossly over stated. I used to raise them, and show them. I never had any of those problems and never had to do any extra maintenance. Barely anything to brush, then bathe, cut nails, clean ears, done. They don't live long, but that seems to be getting better. They potty train themselves as puppies if you set them up right and fleas don't like the gel under their skin, so very little flea problems, unless you already have a large flea problem. I had 5-7 adults living in my house at all times and some of the time one or two litters of puppies, 4-5 pups usually. I never had one flea. I did this from 1980 to 1992, when I move out of state. My last one, not from the ones I raised in showed, a whole separate thing, just a pet, not a show dog too, died several years ago. I always wanted a Bull Terrier, so I took that leap and bought one. Love her to death. I won't do it again. When this one is no longer with us. I will go back to the Shar-Pei and never stray again. I miss having one terribly. I just don't have the right size house for two running and playing dogs. The Bully does not care what or who she runs into. She is just like a Bull in a China shop, seriously.:D

Haha, I see that a lot with all the bully breeds :) I may stray from Border collies just once, but I bet I will also come running back to them as quickly as I left. There is just something about them and the way they think that is so completely different than other dogs. I will never ever ever get in to showing Border Collies, although I do dream of herding trials :rolleyes:
I have always had a lot of respect for the giant breeds, but will probably never take that leap since an average life span of 6-8 years is just way too short for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For pets: great Dane or Standard Poodle. With just a minimum of training and know-how, both of these breeds usually turn out to be fantastic pets.

For workers my list is long: Jack Russels, pit bulls, american bulldogs, border collies, kelpies, Queensland Heelers, Patterdale terriers, Dutch Shepards... But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, tops a Malinois. They are the supreme working dog of the universe. They have no health problems, no joint problems, no skin, coat, or digestive problems, no eye problems, no deafness problems... Just no problems. They are a tremendous amount of work and need to be on skilled hands, but they are capable of anything. They are usually terrible in a typical "pet" situation, but if you have a job for them, or if training is your hobby, there is nothing better. They make a German Shepard seem stupid and a border collie seem slow.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
wellington said:
wellington said:

Awww Barb...I'm still laughing at your post. They sure are Bull's in a China shop, but what personalities they have. I had my Bully for 16 years and he was the love of my life. He always kept me laughing with his crazy antic's. I could forget to lock my door and still sleep soundly. I would have another one if I was younger. So I have my next loves...Chihuahua's.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I love the Rough coated Collie. Lassie. One is laying on my feet right now.. he is Number 3... just something about them... My Soul Dog

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Tom said:
For pets: great Dane or Standard Poodle. With just a minimum of training and know-how, both of these breeds usually turn out to be fantastic pets.

For workers my list is long: Jack Russels, pit bulls, american bulldogs, border collies, kelpies, Queensland Heelers, Patterdale terriers, Dutch Shepards... But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, tops a Malinois. They are the supreme working dog of the universe. They have no health problems, no joint problems, no skin, coat, or digestive problems, no eye problems, no deafness problems... Just no problems. They are a tremendous amount of work and need to be on skilled hands, but they are capable of anything. They are usually terrible in a typical "pet" situation, but if you have a job for them, or if training is your hobby, there is nothing better. They make a German Shepard seem stupid and a border collie seem slow.

I should take offense to that :p

There is a video on youtube of that dog I posted a picture of earlier. He came into rescue because he killed the farmer that bought him and threw him on his farm's calf, and was taken to a vet to be euthanized. Well he ended up with us, and we had him herding tested. My god, he had never had a herding lesson or had been taught anything in his life but seeing him work livestock was amazing. There was something very other worldly about it for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBpmWXOlD0&feature=plcp that's the video

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Terryo, they, Bullies are clowns. One minute i could just choke her and then in a second she has me laughing. Believe me, she knows what she is doing too. I too wish i would have gotten her back in my younger days. I just can't wear her out. When you think you did, she naps for about a half hour and she is ready to go again, and i'm half dead. LOL Don't get me wrong, I love her to death and she does always, every single day, whether a good day or bad day, she will make you laugh. They are my second pick. However my heart was stolen by the Shar-Pei and they will always be my first choice and my first love in animals.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Laura said:
I love the Rough coated Collie. Lassie. One is laying on my feet right now.. he is Number 3... just something about them... My Soul Dog

The president of our rescue used to show Collies. They really are beautiful dogs and so down to earth :)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My favorite type of dog that I havent owned or even seen in person is a basenji. The beagle has always been a favorite of mine and was my first dog.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
:D
Tom said:

I should take offense to that :p

There is a video on youtube of that dog I posted a picture of earlier. He came into rescue because he killed the farmer that bought him and threw him on his farm's calf, and was taken to a vet to be euthanized. Well he ended up with us, and we had him herding tested. My god, he had never had a herding lesson or had been taught anything in his life but seeing him work livestock was amazing. There was something very other worldly about it for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBpmWXOlD0&feature=plcp that's the video

No you shouldn't take offense. :) Border collies are awesome and one of my favorites, but that just demonstrates the things I've seen and experienced with the mals.

And Mr. Fosheezy, beagles are awesome too. I have worked with lots of them and liked them all.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I have a whippet, But my all time favourite is a ' Inuit ' Which we had before, very hard to keep well ''trimmed''

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I love the herding breeds.....GSD's, collies, etc. And I love chihuahua's. Which surprised me greatly. I found that out after fostering for a small breed dog rescue. Other than that, I choose the all american mutt any day of the week.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I like big dogs so for me it would have to be the Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) then the English Mastiff :cool:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
coreyc said:
I like big dogs so for me it would have to be the Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) then the English Mastiff :cool:

My entire life I was a medium to large dog person. Then I fostered those darn chihuahua's!....LOL

Seriously though, I love all size dogs. I love dogs period.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
lisa127 said:
I love the herding breeds.....GSD's, collies, etc. And I love chihuahua's. Which surprised me greatly. I found that out after fostering for a small breed dog rescue. Other than that, I choose the all american mutt any day of the week.

My problem with little dogs is that I have a problem tripping over my own dogs as is, and they aren't tiny!

coreyc said:

Cane Corsos are MASSIVE, I've only seen one in person and I was shocked at how big he was compared to how big I thought they were :)

Tom said:
No you shouldn't take offense. :) Border collies are awesome and one of my favorites, but that just demonstrates the things I've seen and experienced with the mals.

And Mr. Fosheezy, beagles are awesome too. I have worked with lots of them and liked them all.

Have you ever worked with tervs or any of the other belgian shepherds? I've always wondered if they have similar temperament since they are basically the same breed, but they have been bred apart for different reasons, too.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The dog/wolf (Canis lupus) is my favorite animal, and I think the breeds I like best are probably spitz- and shepherd-type dogs that still resemble their wild ancestors to some extent. Growing up, we had a Siberian husky - German shepherd mix, and he was awesome. He's long gone now, but here is picture of him from years ago:

huskyshepherd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.