What do you think about this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am glad he is going to a home with somebody who will do right with him!

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks all. Keeping our fingers crossed. I saw that the vet near us is speaking at SDTTS next month, so that's reassuring. I feel like he'll be helpful.

We got the wood for the new enclosure tonight. It's only going to be 4x4, but I also want to be able to keep an eye on him, so I think that's ok for now. I also picked up some nice tall sedge that would make some nice shade. I'm not sure that I'll plant it right now as it's from Home Depot, although I understand that Russians usually don't eat grass, especially tall grass. The rest of the enclosure will be dirt and some pieces of slate to help with his nails, and a couple of large rocks to break it up a little. I have plenty of seed from sulcata seed left to sprinkle around to get some weed growth. And then, of course, his water dish and hide. Anything I am missing? The hubby's Russians don't have a whole lot in their enclosure, but I want this new guy to feel secure. I got some sedge for them too, and also some fescue, so don't feel too bad.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds good. They love grasses to hide under, so that's a good idea. I don't believe they eat them, so should be fine.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
4 X 4 will be fine for now, don't stress. Anything will be an upgrade from that aquarium!

Very glad to hear that you are getting him!

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have him. The hubby will take pictures later. He is definitely male. His shell is five inches long, 4 inches wide. Aside from the long beak and nails, he seems healthy. The pictures she posted made him look misshapen, but he looks pretty normal to me. I'll post some facial close-ups later to get some other opinions. His shell is hard with no squish. We just got home and we'll do a more thorough inspection in a bit while we take photographs, and then we'll trim his nails.

The seller is nice, but she had no prior experience with torts. She found him near the storm drain near her house in his current condition. She did her best but I think she felt she was in over her head.

So, that's that. Pics later today after we've had a chance to eat lunch and get a closer look at him.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
OK, photos are attached. He's outside cruising around. He seems to have no fear of humans. I've put out a squash leaf and blossom for him. He seems interested in it, but I don't think he can eat it. The seller mentioned sweet potato in her ad. I think she's been feeding him soft stuff and/or tearing things up for him. I'll tear some stuff up for him later. I just want to see what he can do first.

We'll be bringing him in at night until we can build a hide that can be secured. There are some things that still need to be done to the enclosure (like dig proofing it), but we wanted to get him outside in the sun right away. Luckily we were able to position it to include an agave that we planted last year. So far that's his favorite spot to sit. Maybe he likes tequila. We have a water dish for him but it's not in the picture. I'm thinking I'm going to call him Cyrano.

Attachments

• DSCF1016.JPG
    DSCF1016.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1011.JPG
    DSCF1011.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1012.JPG
    DSCF1012.JPG
    645.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1015.JPG
    DSCF1015.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1018.JPG
    DSCF1018.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1019.JPG
    DSCF1019.JPG
    539.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1010.JPG
    DSCF1010.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I bet he is totally thrilled in there. His poor little face... I bet he can barely eat.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
He ate torn up spring mix. He picked it up and then ate it sort of sideways. He looked like a parrot. I only gave him a little bit to see what he would do. Tomorrow I will give him full leaves and make him work a little harder. He was actively avoiding scraping his beak on the slate. I'll call the vet tomorrow but I suspect he will be closed. Hubby is talking about trying the dremel himself, at least to make Cyrano a little more comfortable.

Blondeangel

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
I was going to mention dremeling it yourself...I don't know if that is something frowned upon on the forum though. I found my Russian Tortoise while gardening one day last summer, not so native to S.Florida I took him in and his beak looked pretty similar not quite as long though. I do my dogs nails, my birds nails and my birds beak - so I am quite comfortable using it. I took off a little each day over a 4-5 day period, but by the third day I didn't even need to keep him from tucking into his shell-he was a pro ;)

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I've seen some other posts about dremeling, so I don't know that it's frowned upon. We stopped in at LLL Reptile today for some other supplies and he talked to the employees there. They had all seen the ad, which was crazy. They also recommended that he use the dremel himself. We would still go to the vet, but it would be nice if he could eat normally.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What a little trooper he is! If you can get a bit of his beak off, sure would be nice, but he has made it this far. When it is that long, seems like it is better to do it in stages, anyway.
Great job on the enclosure, might be some of the first sun he has seen possibly ever. They guys are so tough.
I am so glad you got him!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Renee, he is so lucky to have you guys. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to take him in. Do you guys see Dr. Boyer?

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
We haven't seen anyone in this area yet, but we live right next to Dr. Cecil. He's speaking next month on hibernation. I emailed his office but didn't hear back, probably because it's a holiday weekend. I'll try calling tomorrow, but suspect I won't get anyone until Tuesday, unless the emergency hospital his office is attached to books appointments for him.

Thanks everyone. He's a sweet little guy and we're happy to have him. Very friendly (or maybe he just knows that the lady brings the food). We discovered tonight that he can dig like a champ with those long claws. We're going to be working on dig proofing first thing, though the yard is secure. It just may take us awhile to find him if he manages to get out.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Just a small update. After I put him back out in the morning, he dug himself into a little burrow under the agave and he has spent the day there. I put out some more spring mix but he hasn't eaten yet (I slipped in some chunks of carrot hoping he'd put that beak to work). He's alert and I suspect he's just getting acclimated. I watered his area really well after bringing him in last night to germinate the sulcata seed (and the mallow that area usually grows when it rains), so his burrow is probably nice and humid. So far I'm seeing no signs of any kind of immediate illness. I think it's likely that he has some mild MBD, but he'll be living outside pretty much full time and eating as well as I can manage it, so hopefully that will be arrested.

I ended up not calling Dr. Cecil, but a different doctor - Dr. Jeffrey Jenkins. I became a little alarmed at reviews that complained about excessive billing. Dr. Cecil's practice is emergency and exotics only and I think they really try to capitalize on being a niche practice. I discovered we had a friend that went to Dr. Jenkins recently regarding an iguana emergency and they treated her really kindly. His office was closed, of course, but I left a message. I'll let you all know when we get an appointment.

We're all really attached to Cyrano already. I'm really glad you all helped me talk myself into getting him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It is satisfying to all of us to see a tort rescued. Sounds like he is doing what most torts do in a new environment at first: hide a lot and not eat, but he also probably can't believe his great good luck in having someplace to actually burrow in...
thanks for the update!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I hope they get you in tomorrow. He is going to feel so much better w/ a trimmed beak. I'm still so happy you rescued him.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm glad it worked out well for you and the tort. Yes, you can dremmel his beak yourself. Just carefully take off a little at a time...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The hubby discovered tonight that Cyrano gets his head stuck in his shell when he pulls it in. I noticed that he doesn't typically pull it in (he did tonight as he was being taken from his nice comfy burrow under the agave -- I'm going to try to move his enclosure over a little tomorrow to give him more room there). I guess he has learned not to. The hubby works from dawn to the wee hours tomorrow so it's just me. I have anxiety issues so I'm not going near a dremel, but I can handle a nail file. If the doc doesn't see us tomorrow, I'll go to the beauty supply and pick up something hefty and at least take off enough that he can get his head in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.