Rescuing horsefield tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmaj76

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new here, I have 2 hermanns tortoise that I love dearly, they are 3 years old, I have been into a pet shop today, the man there told me he was selling off his rèptiles as he didn't want to sell them anymore, I had a look the horsefield is living in a vivarium! Has overgrown claws, overgrown beak and is been fed on pellets, also very timid, hiding in shell and hissing at me, obviously needs some tlc
I suppose I am looking for some advice
Thanks in advance

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Emma and welcome! Are you able to house this animal by itself? Most of what you saying about the Russian, sounds like it's not going to take much to get him going. A quick trip to the Vet (unless you know how) to trim the nails and the beak. Do you know if he is eating?

Emmaj76

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi Emma and welcome! Are you able to house this animal by itself? Most of what you saying about the Russian, sounds like it's not going to take much to get him going. A quick trip to the Vet (unless you know how) to trim the nails and the beak. Do you know if he is eating?

Thanks for reply, I don't know how to do it myself so vets it is, I don't know if the tortoise is eating, the shell looks a bit pyramid to me aswell, is that normal for this breed as I know for hermanns it shows they are unhealthy ? Yes can house in its own, will be a makeshift home for the time being as I am collecting the tortoise tommorow

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Russians are very resilient. If the tortoise is active and appears healthy, and you get the beak/nails trimmed and set him up under proper conditions, pyramiding won't make much difference in the long run.
However, his life is about to take a turn for the better, thanks to you.
Let us know if you have more questions, but since you have Hermann's, you get the general idea!

Emmaj76

5 Year Member
Thanks for help everybody, going to get him this morning getting a bit excited will try to get some pics on later x

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Emmaj76 said:
Thanks for help everybody, going to get him this morning getting a bit excited will try to get some pics on later x

You're awesome!
Like the others said, just give him his own little house and he'll come around. :p
Russians can be slow to trust though, so don't get frustrated if he hisses at you for a couple months!

Emmaj76

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, got George home, he seems ok, he's had a nice bath, just settling in, hasn't eaten anything yet can't even tempt him with a bit of strawberry, but I'm sure he will eat when he's hungry enough, haven't worked out how to put pics on here yet will sort if tho, thanks for all your comments appreciate the help x

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am so glad to hear you decided to get him. Given some time, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

Emmaj76

5 Year Member
Ok I can't do it, can anyone tell me how to put pics on please x

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How are you trying to do it? I know I take my pictures, download them to my laptop and then place them in photobucket. Then just use their code. Works easy for me.

taiuk10

5 Year Member
In the reply section there should be a camera or photo button. It allows you to pick photo from camera roll or take new photo.
Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.