What do you think about this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
This ad has been posted several times over the past few weeks on our local craigslist. My first thought is that the rehoming fee is high for a tortoise that is going to require at least some preliminary extra care, but the seller is including a lot of extra stuff. It's just stuff I don't really need.

Craigslist Russian

My husband already has three Russians, but we don't really have any experience with the issues this one seems to have. Is his beak overgrown due to a "lack of calcium" or is this something that could be resolved by taking him to an exotics vet? His claws seem overgrown as well. Any thoughts on this particular tortoise and what it might take to get him back to health? I can't tell his size, but I assure you that if I do get him, I don't intend on putting him back into a 20g tank.

Anyone else in San Diego can feel free to step in. I am just tired of seeing that ad and that poor neglected tortoise.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I actually posted something about this a few weeks ago and was going to get him but at the moment I don't have the space :/
He actually looks healthy other then the beak and nails. But you can take him to the vet to get both trimmed.
I won't have the space until January, I wish I had it now though. I've actually talked to the current owner, she's selling him because she also doesn't have the space and doesn't have the time because school is starting up for her.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Sarah, that was pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to check in here. It seemed like they could just be trimmed by a vet, but I didn't know if I was just missing something. We weren't really in the market for any new torts (I have a 3 mo. sulcata, in addition to what the hubby already has -- which is a bunch), and paying a rehoming fee and then for a vet isn't really something I want to do right now. I can do it... I just don't want to... and I'm already obsessive enough about the sulcata... and ugh. I'll have to talk to the hubby about it and see what we're willing to do. It's reassuring that you think he looks healthy otherwise.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
If you do decide to purchase him I'm sure you could get the price lowered a lot, you'd just have to point out everything. He needs to go to the vet to get his beak and nails trimmed, plus it would probably be good to get him checked for parasites. Then you need to set up a proper enclosure because the one she has him in isn't suitable. It's too small plus they don't do good in aquariums.
I'd point that all out to her. She's asking for way to expensive of a rehoming fee for the current condition of the tortoise.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I was going to call the vet in the morning and get a quote so I have it when I contact her. I'm fine with her keeping all the stuff and then she can continue to try to sell it on Craigslist. I'm sure she's trying to recoup the costs for things she got to care for him, and I understand that. It's not really suitable for a tortoise that size, but it might be a fine starter kit for something smaller or a different herp. It seems like she's been trying to rehome him for awhile, so hopefully she'll be open to it.

Laura, right now on our craigslist, someone else is trying to rehome another young male Russian, presumably without issues, for $80, and a male and female pair small enough that "birds might get them," for $150. Our beaky but adorable friend here is way overpriced, especially in light of the expense that will be required to make him healthy. I think that's probably why he is still there.

The hubby and I have already discussed it, and if we take him, it's going to be a very expensive investment motivated only by our soft squishy hearts. We don't even know if this little guy has troubles beyond the beak and nails. It's hard for people right now to afford soft squishy hearts. Even if the seller gave us the tort for free, we anticipate that the vet visit will cost us more than the cost of a new tortoise. We'll call the vet and we'll call the seller and see what kind of arrangement can be reached. We will pay more than the cost of a new tortoise. We just have to be comfortable with that amount, and we have no idea what that amount is going to be just yet.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Vet trims beaks for $29. but this one may cost more than that. You can trim the nails yourself it's easy. Just tell her you want the tort and not the stuff and she should come down to $50 and keep her stuff...That's what I would offer...He most likely has kidney problems and that always involves the liver too. So in all likelihood he is not too healthy, but please don't let that prevent you from taking him. He definitely needs someone to care for him.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would definatly tell her he needs at least $100.00 in vet bills to get him healthy and you are willing to do that if she lowers the price. I will go on C/L and tell her she needs to find a good home for it and that it needs help :( Hope that helps you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Angi said:
I would definatly tell her he needs at least $100.00 in vet bills to get him healthy and you are willing to do that if she lowers the price. I will go on C/L and tell her she needs to find a good home for it and that it needs help :( Hope that helps you.

I definitely agree with you, I know my Vet is cheaper in some things. It will most likely cost more than $100 to get him healthy...I just wish someone would go get him...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I have an email in to the closest vet and I will see what he says. $50 was about my price point for the rehoming fee. I guess we'll see what response we get tomorrow.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Email sent to seller. I explained about vet bills and told her she could keep and sell the stuff. I asked her to lower the rehoming fee. We'll see where we get. No word from the vet yet, but it is what it is. He has to go to the vet anyway. Poor hubby will get to build another outdoor enclosure. He just finished Cecil's last week. He's supposed to be the tort hoarder, not me. Someone needs to put a Craigslist block on my computer.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't think that is just a case of overgrown beak and nails. Looks like MBD to me as well. In adult tortoises, who already have developed shells, MBD doesn't manifest itself the same. In young growing torts, we see deformities, softness, sunken in backs, shells that don't quite cover the body, etc. In adults, other things start to get out of whack. The beak and nails are a sign of it, and the front limbs look a little thick to me, like the bone has started to get spongy. Also, that 20 gallon is 12" wide. In the one picture you can clearly see both edges of the tank. Compare the size of the Russian with the width of the tank, and you will see that it is an adult or dang near it.

He can be rehabbed, but yes, he is going to need some intensive care.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks, Kristina. She came back with an acceptable amount, so it looks like this is probably a go. The hubby and I had a long talk and we agree that spending the money is foolish (I'm off work on disability, so the financial situation is a wee bit precarious), but we also can't stand to do nothing when we have the capacity to do something. So here we are.

I'll post pictures after we pick him up. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and need a lot of help with this one.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yea! I'm so proud of you!!! I'm glad you are doing the right thing...we'll wait for an update on pins and needles...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Haven't heard back from my email asking when we can get him. Don't know why I'm suddenly nervous. Guess I've already gotten attached. So, still no news.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Ok, heard from her. We pick him up tomorrow at noon. Off to Home Depot tonight for supplies. I will update tomorrow when we get him.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm really happy that you're getting him:) I was upset when I couldn't get him and scared that he'd end up in another not so good home. It's definitely good knowing that you are the one getting him and that he'll have an amazing home.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Renee I am so happy you are taking in the poor guy. I have worried about him too! I cried the first time I saw this ad!
You and your husband are the best!!! Good Luck at the vet. I pray it's only a beak trim and the basics. I can't wait to hear about his personality and see his new look.

Status
Not open for further replies.