what do you feed your easterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnite

5 Year Member
Hi I just got a group of 4 female easterns and I know what they generally eat, I was just looking for some different ideas from what I may already have. So.....what does everyone feed their easterns????:)

M

Maggie Cummings

That's fun to get 4 new box turtles...Nightcrawlers, mealworms, slugs, fruit, squash, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, trout chow, I guess that's all I can think of now...oh...crickets

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Right now, a mix of Nasco Turtle Brittle and trout chow, soaked, offered every morning. Underweight turtles and poor feeders get superworms & nightcrawlers when I have time. Occasionally, leftover veggies and fruit from the fridge. Every year I make a prepared recipe of various veggies, lettuce, potatoes, boiled eggs, etc and freeze it in deli cups. These I swap with the Turtle Brittle/Trout Chow every other day.
This year, I made a bunch of the prepared mix, and included mushrooms, which EBT's love. Well, they didn't like it in the mix, so If finally threw it all out. Next spring I'll try again!
They also have a 4x6 foot everbearing strawberry patch in their pen.
Here's the Turtle Brittle/Trout Chow mix
IMG_1267s.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix once a week. Every week it's different. This week it was: In a food processor, I put sweet potato (cooked), carrots (raw), 1 raw egg, shell too, dandelion, grape leaves, squash flowers, escarole, trout chow (dry), pineapple and strawberries (put the fruit in at the end or it will get mushy) I only blend it until it's tiny, tiny pieces, not mush. Put this in a bowl and add some venison..mix it up. All my Box Turtles love this. Occasionally I'll give some to my Cherry Heads. Each week I put different things in the mix.
006-63.jpg

If Pio could lick the dish she would
028-22.jpg

Solo loves it too
008-49.jpg

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
What kind of venison? Just ground? Cooked?
terryo said:
I make a mix once a week. Every week it's different. This week it was: In a food processor, I put sweet potato (cooked), carrots (raw), 1 raw egg, shell too, dandelion, grape leaves, squash flowers, escarole, trout chow (dry), pineapple and strawberries (put the fruit in at the end or it will get mushy) I only blend it until it's tiny, tiny pieces, not mush. Put this in a bowl and add some venison..mix it up. All my Box Turtles love this. Occasionally I'll give some to my Cherry Heads. Each week I put different things in the mix.
006-63.jpg

If Pio could lick the dish she would
028-22.jpg

Solo loves it too
008-49.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sometimes my friend will give me a piece of meat, and I will put it in the food processor. Otherwise I use Wellness dog food with Venison or an up-grade dog food with venison. I use 3/4 of the mix to 1/4 of the venison. Two weeks before I stop feeding them for the Winter, I give only the Wellness canned venison to fatten them up before hibernation.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
i feed mine romaine lettuce, mealworms, earthworms, bannana, watermelon, carrots, and it really depends because i give him some differnet stuff once in a while. That is good for him to see what he prefers. but there is alot just look up on bing.com and it will lead to some good websites that tell you good things to feed them. But that is diet of mine i hoped i helped.

jnite

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies.:) So they can pretty much eat anything and everything....little garbage disposals:D. I feed mine romaine, kale, carrots, and then they get whatever else I have at the moment. Good to know they can eat mushrooms, my hingies love their mushrooms too. I have beardies and BTS so I will offer different kinds of fruits and veggies, just depending on what is available.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Nice little turtles. My babies are eating vegetable baby food mixed with box turtle pellets.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Trout chow is just Koi food, and you can get it in most pet stores, or pond stores. I like it for a new hatchling also. You can soak it for a few min. I get the orange sticks to enhance the color....so it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.