Obtaining Easterns

EricL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I have a couple eastern adults that are all rescues, either from M.A.T.T.S or craigslist. Realistically are there any that are CB that breeders sell? When it comes to the laws in MD, if a DNR officer shows up to inspect your animals, you need documentation of the common name, scientific name, # of animals, date of transaction, info of seller and permit #. M.A.T.T.S gives you a piece of paper signed by both with all this info on it.

However, MD law states that you can collect 1 eastern from the wild for breeding purpose with a permit which is obviously unethical. I am assuming most adult easterns in the pet trade were once wild caught or are LTC. I was just wondering where everyone else came upon their collection.

I am looking into expanding my outdoor enclosure to about 12x16 or 16x16 and having a ratio of around 2.4, so I was looking into where the best place to "legally" obtain easterns are.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Your young, Be patient, your female will most likely produce eggs, maybe twice this summer. Hatch them out and raise them and then you can trade some to introduce new blood into your colony. And then work for what colors you are trying to obtain in the years to come. Remember the box turtles you have now will most likely out live you so what you hatch out you will have a lifetime to work with.

AJK Aquaria

If you are going to add some adults soon, I would avoid the wholesalers. They, typically, cannot provide any history on the animals. It's unfortunate that fresh, wild caught boxies are still on the market.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm looking for a young ornate. If anyone knows someone with some available it would be much appreciated thanks.