Box Turtle eggs

kobobird

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I picked up 4 new box turtles (3 easterns and 1 gulf coast/ eastern hybrid) last week to add to my colony and was told they were all female but upon inspection the gulf coast hybrid is male. To my surprise, as of about 20 minutes ago one of the females just dug a nest and laid some eggs. My question here is what is the temperature range for incubation and the incubation period? I'm finding conflicting information on the internet. Is 90 degrees Fahrenheit too hot? Some sources say no others say yes. I breed ball pythons also and need to know if they can be incubated in the same incubator at 90 degrees. All help is appreciated thanks!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
90f is too high for box turtle eggs. This temperature will result in mostly female hatchlings and some of the eggs will develop improperly. Incubate them at 82f to get a fairly even gender distribution and they typically hatch in about 70 days.

Relic

Here
I picked up 4 new box turtles (3 easterns and 1 gulf coast/ eastern hybrid) last week to add to my colony and was told they were all female but upon inspection the gulf coast hybrid is male. To my surprise, as of about 20 minutes ago one of the females just dug a nest and laid some eggs. My question here is what is the temperature range for incubation and the incubation period? I'm finding conflicting information on the internet. Is 90 degrees Fahrenheit too hot? Some sources say no others say yes. I breed ball pythons also and need to know if they can be incubated in the same incubator at 90 degrees. All help is appreciated thanks!
Remember those python eggs are incubating (in nature) above ground where the air temps can rise higher. The turtle eggs are below ground where it remains cooler - and to some degree, more constant.

kobobird

Kentucky
Remember those python eggs are incubating (in nature) above ground where the air temps can rise higher. The turtle eggs are below ground where it remains cooler - and to some degree, more constant.
I didn't even think about it like that but that makes perfect sense. Thank you