Welcome, Carl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
DSC_1170.JPGAfter asking a few questions aroun here, I made the decision to stick with a smaller, and easier tortoise than a leopard for now. That being said, I still wanted one with lots of personality and one that was relatively easy to care for, being my first little guy.

So, I decided on a Hermann's tortoise hatchling! He just arrived this morning, abut an hour ago. Apparently his journey wasn't too hard on him, I gave him a nice warm soak for about ten minutes, put him in his enclosure, and he immediately began to demolish his spring mix. Now he's roaming around, climbing on everything, and getting to know his new surroundings.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, and thanks to the people who pointed me in the direction of Tortoise Supply, they have sent me a well-packaged, healthy little critter :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
He's adorable! And now you're just like me...came here set on a leopard, and ended up with something else!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
NudistApple said:
He's adorable! And now you're just like me...came here set on a leopard, and ended up with something else!

Yeah, I really wanted something that would get a bit larger, but I decided that I really didn't want to take on a sulcata, but leopard torts are definitely not for beginners, so I want to learn all I can from Carl first and maybe some day I'll have two tortoises :D

Carl is still doing well! He is a very picky eater, as I've already found out. He turns his nose up to dandelion! Only likes spring mix, and even then, it's only one or two types of leaves out of that. We'll fix this soon enough.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If Carl refuses dandelions, etc., put it in a zip-lock and offer it again tomorrow...once he realizes that you won't cater to his "wants", he'll be less particular.

Tortoises, being intelligent, will try to "game" you...I make a point of NEVER feeding the same food item/combination 2 days in row, for this very reason...

Tough love is called for, sometimes.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum, Congrats herman's are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.