Carl... doesn't poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I have had Carl, a hatchling hermann's tortosie, for three weeks now. He soaks every day, sometimes twice a day, for about 15 minutes each soak. He has only ever pooed in his soaking water once. I know he's pooed at least two other times in his enclosure, but I can't be for sure on if he's gone more than that...

This is a very strange topic, and sorry, but I worry about him...

He is pretty moderately active, I would consider his activity level normal. He wakes up, waddles around looking for food, I soak him, he eats for about a half an hour, then we go outside and he wanders and grazes for about an hour, then I bring him inside and he sleeps for the rest of the day until late evening when he switches hides (not sure why he has such a regimented routine about which hide he naps in, then sleeps overnight in, silly guy). I would consider this normal for a baby tortoise, but then again what do I know, since he's my first baby tortoise!

He looks normal, too, and when he does poo, it doesn't look strange.

With all of this being said, Carl is on a top soil and coco coir substrate, so it would be pretty hard to find his poo anyway, is it possible that I'm just overreacting... (it's been known to happen before :) ) I always just thought he would be going during his soaks more than he has.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He could be eating it, yes some will do that. He also maybe going and you just haven't found it. I would try soaking him longer, 1/2 hour and see if that helps for him to go in his soak. Just be sure to keep him warm. Other then that, it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about. If his activity or eating changes or anything else gets abnormal, then there might be a problem.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Their turds are little..so he likely is grazing and poo'g when you go on your outings....the only torts that seem to poo in their water here is one of the baby Redfoot torts...all the other torts do their business when they are out eating and walking :D

Status
Not open for further replies.