Inside Carl vs outside Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I am still just so amazed at how utterly different the same tortoise can be depending on where he is.

Inside Carl is lazy, he wakes up 3 hours after his lights turn on, and eats a bit, maybe suns himself for a while, then goes back to sleep within an hour or two.

Outside Carl is usually a statue when I go out to check on him, so I never know what he's up to, but his food is always gone, and sometimes I'll see him underneath the plants, or in his water dish, maybe even on top of some rocks. He sleeps in his hide very little when he's outdoors.

I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to everyone on the forum who talked me into making an outdoor enclosure. Now I understand how much more fun it is to own a tort when they get to live outside :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yay! I hope every newbie who comes on to this forum reads your post. Torts are meant to be outdoors. They are happier and healthier in natural sunlight.

Thank you for sharing! :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
mctlong said:
Yay! I hope every newbie who comes on to this forum reads your post. Torts are meant to be outdoors. They are happier and healthier in natural sunlight.

Thank you for sharing! :)

Even when it's cloudy he is more active then when inside :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
futureleopardtortoise said:
I am still just so amazed at how utterly different the same tortoise can be depending on where he is.

Inside Carl is lazy, he wakes up 3 hours after his lights turn on, and eats a bit, maybe suns himself for a while, then goes back to sleep within an hour or two.

Outside Carl is usually a statue when I go out to check on him, so I never know what he's up to, but his food is always gone, and sometimes I'll see him underneath the plants, or in his water dish, maybe even on top of some rocks. He sleeps in his hide very little when he's outdoors.

I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to everyone on the forum who talked me into making an outdoor enclosure. Now I understand how much more fun it is to own a tort when they get to live outside :)

:)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I still haven't figured out why he won't move when I'm out there. Only time he does is if I brought out more food, then he beelines for the food dish :)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Toby seems to come to me when I'm outside, expecting I'm bringing some sort of food. The funny part is, he marches towards me, eating everything from clovers to just blades of grass on the way, and expects me to bring him something that he can just find outside.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
That's why I keep boring people with my broken record "build an outdoor enclosure for the tortoise!"...

I am glad that Carl enjoys his life and you "broke the chains" of pet-industry and naive keeper's "knowledge", that keep saying "tortoises CAN live a happy life indoors", if you provide the adequate "bulbs, substrate etc."...
Someone seeing the difference by himself cannot anymore think to an indoor life for a tortoise- save for climate or health issues. But for that, one have to care enough to inform himself and try.
I am waiting the day when hibernation will get to the same level of recognition as outdoor keeping. It is so natural and self-understood in Europe!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Glad Carl is doing nice outside. What a good feeling knowing he is happy and healthy.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Thank you for all of your comments, everyone.

It's because you obviously can't see them if they don't move.

Hahaha, exactly! It's like hide and seek with a 2 year old.

Tom said:
Tortoises are SOLAR powered!!! :D

Aw that's the cutest quote!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I still haven't figured out why he won't move when I'm out there. Only time he does is if I brought out more food, then he beelines for the food dish :)

Most babies of most species are that way, especially outside. He'll come around in time.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
CactusVinnie said:
That's why I keep boring people with my broken record "build an outdoor enclosure for the tortoise!"...

I am glad that Carl enjoys his life and you "broke the chains" of pet-industry and naive keeper's "knowledge", that keep saying "tortoises CAN live a happy life indoors", if you provide the adequate "bulbs, substrate etc."...
Someone seeing the difference by himself cannot anymore think to an indoor life for a tortoise- save for climate or health issues. But for that, one have to care enough to inform himself and try.
I am waiting the day when hibernation will get to the same level of recognition as outdoor keeping. It is so natural and self-understood in Europe!
Sure they can live inside, but is that really the quality of life and best?

Would they do just as good inside? Not at all. It's like depriving a cat of toys to play with or a dog of time to run outside. Outdoors time is essential in a tortoises life for many reasons. The experience in itself, and of course, good ol sunlight.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My Tyrone, is just the opposite! He roams all over the place when I watch him outside and if I start talking he come to me so fast. If I don't talk to him he just looks at me and walks away !

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Outside Carl is usually a statue when I go out to check on him, so I never know what he's up to,

See Carl is a smart little guy, he knows better then to let you see what he is up to (just like any child). Sounds really good to know his natural protection instincts are so active.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Jacqui said:
Outside Carl is usually a statue when I go out to check on him, so I never know what he's up to,

See Carl is a smart little guy, he knows better then to let you see what he is up to (just like any child). Sounds really good to know his natural protection instincts are so active.

Apparently he throws protection out the window when he believes food is involved, though :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Apparently he throws protection out the window when he believes food is involved, though :p

Sure he is not a sulcata or a Russian? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.