Please welcome Zola

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
Hello, I'm Angie, and I have been hovering in the background of the forum for a long time, learning a great deal, and getting to know a bit about some of the members. It has been very interesting, but I think it's time I ventured on a post.
Our Hermanns tortoise, Zola, has recently celebrated his 20th birthday. He has an unusual lifestyle, but it seems to suit him.
Zola is very strong and healthy, and weighs about one kilo, but you will notice a split in his shell, above his head. When we got him, at about a year old, there was just a tiny nick there, - we were told he had probably been stepped on, when his shell was still soft, and he might have internal injuries. He really wasn't all that well, but he had great fighting spirit, and allowed us to hand feed him - especially cucumber, as he wouldn't drink- and put drops in his swollen eyes. Over time, he bonded with us, and wanted to be with us ( and we with him ) as much as possible.
We live in the South-West UK, on the Devon/Cornwall border ,and a few miles from the sea. We are retired, and like to go out and explore the lovely countryside around us. So after about a year, we decided to try taking Zola with us. We went (with him on my lap in the car) to a pretty stream where he was able to get close to the running water and walk beside it. He seemed very happy with the whole experience, but when we got home, he had what I can only describe as a tantrum, waving his head, arms and legs about furiously! So we interpreted this as meaning that he wanted us to take him out again - soon - and that is what we have done !
For 18 years he hes gone out with us everywhere - every day.
His dad (Richard) carries him in his hand when we are walking anywhere (or under his jacket if it is a bit cold) and he sits happily on my lap in the car -often falling asleep.
He has been to all sorts of places - on the nearby moor - where he once helped rescue a lamb - in underground caverns, through a bluebell wood, to small fishing villages and seaside towns, - and especially to look at the sea. He stretches his neck out as far as he can, and watches the water, following the waves intently.
In fact, Zola nearly always has his neck out so he can get a good view of everything, and people we meet often remark on this and say how intelligent he looks.
We do meet a lot of people, who are often very interested in him - tortoises are not all that common as pets in the UK, and of course we have no native ones. Many people say they have never seen a tortoise before - we often let people touch his shell - we even let a few special people hold him, and they are ecstatic with delight.
Zola is very good with babies,- and especially talented at stopping small children crying !
Living in a rather touristy area, we meet a lot of foreigners, and we always ask for the word "Tortoise" in their own language . So far we have a list of over 40 words !
Having Zola has transformed our lives - through him we have met many interesting people, and some have remained friends years later.
He has his own email address, and sends occasional photos to his friends . But absolutely no Facebook or Instagram.
Zola is a very happy chap, and has no health problems since recovering from his injury at the beginning. He has his beak trimmed regularly by a vet who has tortoises of his own and who is very impressed with how strong he is, but also how calm and tolerant about being handled. He describes him as "Fantastic!"
Altogether we consider ourselves very lucky to have him, and want to do our best to give him a happy life. I realise not everyone might approve of his unusual lifestyle, but he enjoys it, and to us that is what matters.
Here is a photo of Zola at Easter.

View attachment 309851

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Hello, I'm Angie, and I have been hovering in the background of the forum for a long time, learning a great deal, and getting to know a bit about some of the members. It has been very interesting, but I think it's time I ventured on a post.
Our Hermanns tortoise, Zola, has recently celebrated his 20th birthday. He has an unusual lifestyle, but it seems to suit him.
Zola is very strong and healthy, and weighs about one kilo, but you will notice a split in his shell, above his head. When we got him, at about a year old, there was just a tiny nick there, - we were told he had probably been stepped on, when his shell was still soft, and he might have internal injuries. He really wasn't all that well, but he had great fighting spirit, and allowed us to hand feed him - especially cucumber, as he wouldn't drink- and put drops in his swollen eyes. Over time, he bonded with us, and wanted to be with us ( and we with him ) as much as possible.
We live in the South-West UK, on the Devon/Cornwall border ,and a few miles from the sea. We are retired, and like to go out and explore the lovely countryside around us. So after about a year, we decided to try taking Zola with us. We went (with him on my lap in the car) to a pretty stream where he was able to get close to the running water and walk beside it. He seemed very happy with the whole experience, but when we got home, he had what I can only describe as a tantrum, waving his head, arms and legs about furiously! So we interpreted this as meaning that he wanted us to take him out again - soon - and that is what we have done !
His dad (Richard) carries him in his hand when we are walking anywhere (or under his jacket if it is a bit cold) and he sits happily on my lap in the car -often falling asleep.
He has been to all sorts of places - on the nearby moor - where he once helped rescue a lamb - in underground caverns, through a bluebell wood, to small fishing villages and seaside towns, - and especially to look at the sea. He stretches his neck out as far as he can, and watches the water, following the waves intently.
In fact, Zola nearly always has his neck out so he can get a good view of everything, and people we meet often remark on this and say how intelligent he looks.
We do meet a lot of people, who are often very interested in him - tortoises are not all that common as pets in the UK, and of course we have no native ones. Many people say they have never seen a tortoise before - we often let people touch his shell - we even let a few special people hold him, and they are ecstatic with delight.
Zola is very good with babies,- and especially talented at stopping small children crying !
Living in a rather touristy area, we meet a lot of foreigners, and we always ask for the word "Tortoise" in their own language . So far we have a list of over 40 words !
Having Zola has transformed our lives - through him we have met many interesting people, and some have remained friends years later.
He has his own email address, and sends occasional photos to his friends . But absolutely no Facebook or Instagram.
Zola is a very happy chap, and has no health problems since recovering from his injury at the beginning. He has his beak trimmed regularly by a vet who has tortoises of his own and who is very impressed with how strong he is, but also how calm and tolerant about being handled. He describes him as "Fantastic!"
Altogether we consider ourselves very lucky to have him, and want to do our best to give him a happy life. I realise not everyone might approve of his unusual lifestyle, but he enjoys it, and to us that is what matters.

View attachment 309851

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Hey, I loved hearing about Zola's adventures. I'm new to the forum too, and like you perused it for some time before joining and posting. Also, I lived in England as a child when my professor dad had a Guggenheim grant to work in the British Museum for a year. It was the happiest time in our lives. We lived out at was then the edge of the countryside; my brothers and I went to a lovely English primary school; my mother (whose family were very English New Englanders, her mother and aunt were educated in England, ) enjoyed every moment whether at home with my little sister, or, leaving us kids in the charge of a very nice babysitter, bopping around London with friends. My father had a longish commute into London but didn't mind it, as he enjoys trains and besides didn't actually have to go in every day.

In sum it's great to hear from a tortoise keeper in fair Ablion. (I've been back several times, the sweetest with my beloved mother, who is gone now. My favorite photograph is one of ther and me standing in front of the house we'd lived in in 68, a wonderful big place with a sunny conservatory, a rose garden in front of the house, and hedgehogs in the back garden.

Another reason I enjoyed reading your post is that although my tortoise is only three years old, my husband and I are devoted to her and have taken her on road trips. She has a little travel enclosure to keep her safe as she's still quite small, but I look forward to some day holding her in my lap as we conduct our road trips, as you hold Zola.

She is a California Desert Tortoise, and since we live not far from the native haunts of her ancestors, we've taken her up there, and in the summer, when it's warm enough, even up to the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains that rise over 14,000 feet above the Mojave. Before the COVID shut down the mountain lodges in July, we stayed at a cabin at 8000 feet. Even in summer the night temperatures can drop dramatically, so we go all set with her heat lamps. In the daytime in June it's usually a lovely 70 to 80 degrees farenheit. We set up her a temporary but sturdy totally enclosed cage on the cabin's front porch where she can enjoy sunshine or shade.

We never left her unsupervised there, even though her travel enclosure is so sturdy. One my husband and I take a little walk under the pine and fir trees, a lovely dappled shade. I carried her safely and carefully in one hand (couldn't do that now so easily--she's grown since them) and she was so relaxed and trusting that it melted the heart. She just sprawled in my hand, looking about her with interest as I walked along, occasionally gently rubbing under her chin.

My husband took a video of Cholla on this charming stroll, and if I knew how to get it from his iphone, and if I knew how to attach it to this post, I would

As you've experienced, people tend to respond with delighted interest at the sight of a tortoise on holiday, even here in Southern California, where they are more commonly kept as pets than in England.

I predict that some in the forum might disapprove of taking one's tortoise on holiday, due to various disruptions and risks. But the other option for my husband and is not to travel together to the desert at all, because we're so reluctant to leave our little pal Cholla with anybody. Even with our thirty-five year old daughter, who love Cholla "like an auntie" (her words, not mine) and who have some experience with keeping a Russian tortoise in her classroom (She's a Montessori teacher and she is legally designated as Cholla's guardian, should something happen to us. Desert tortoises are, sadly, an endangered species, and CDT's in captivity must be registered with the state of California.

One of many amazing things about Cholla, and probably about Zola, and undoubtedly many other beloved tortoises, is how much expression and mood they show, not only through their body language, but even in the face. The latter seems odd since their features are not exactly very mobile. But a happy shine in the eyes comes through, as well as cross, bored or grumpy looks. How do they do it? :tort: :) :tort:

Your pic of Zola amongst the Easter flowers is darling. I have some pretty cute ones of little Cholla among our spring pansies back in March, but again, I lack the technical know how to attach it. One of these days . . .

By the way, "Cholla" (pronounced Choya) is the Spanish name of a cactus native to the deserts of the American southwest. It's not very pretty until the sun illuminates the spines in early morning or near sunset, and then the cactus seems to be surrounded by a heavenly white nimbus.

Cholla sometimes seems like a quiet little angel to me, so peaceful to watch her rest or plod contentedly among the rocks and plants of her outdoor enclosure at home. Since I'm not working due to COVID19 I can spend peaceful hours just sitting beside her enclosure and watching her amble about, or bask, or lie half in and half out of her little burrow with her little front legs sprawled forward in the "superman position." Meanwhile I sip a cup of tea and lazily read a book. The pandemic and economic falllout is horrible,and meanwhile the U.S. seems to be going nuts; all the more thank God for the tranquil times with Cholla.

Good health to you, your husband, and your Zola!

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Sorry about all the typos in my loooong reply above. It was so lengthy that the time allotted for editing ran out. I'll be less wordy next time.

Peace!
Cholla's "mom"
Jennifer

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Well, I'm a Brit, and theres no way I will ever really understand USA politics, so no offence intended. And the other guy in the cauldron is our prime minister, after all.
Omg I didn’t realize there was faces in the cauldron!! Haha that’s hilarious

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Interesting color for a Hermann's. You almost never see one that is nearly all yellow like Zola.

It's also interesting that Zola lacks a nuchal scute.
Hello - I was very interested in your comment about Zola's colour. He was much more patterned when he was a baby, as you will see from the photos I will attach - over time the pattern has faded a lot,which we were quite sorry about - however, he still has dark markings on his plastron. Do you know why this might happen - could it be due to his diet, his lighting, or anything like that? We have just assumed that this is normal - and in fact, his shell looks really lovely in certain lights - it glows golden ! Then in other lights it looks slightly greenish. We have never put anything on it except water - the shine comes from a lot of stroking !
I know nuchal scutes are not always present, but I don't know how uncommon this is - do you?
The photos are of Zola many years ago, when he was at most 2 years old, I think. I would love to know more about the colouring.
Angie
screenshot_762.jpg
screenshot_763.jpg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Not sure about the color. I do not think lighting, diet or other environmental factors would make the shell nearly all yellow. There's very little research on this that I've seen. There were some studies on eastern box turtles that showed that sunlight exposure promoted the development of yellow coloring. There was a critical time frame (around 2 years of age) in which the yellow coloring developed. Basically, young turtles without bright yellow coloration were fitted with GPS trackers that covered up a spot on the shell. When the researchers tracked them down a few years later, they had developed the bright yellow coloring as is typical of eastern box turtles, but the area underneath the tracker was still the drab yellow color. After they removed the tracker completely, and found the turtles again several years later, the covered area did not further develop the bright yellow color. But, this only pertained to the vibrancy of the yellow color, rather than making usual darker areas yellow.

The nuchal scute isn't super surprising given the extra/split scutes on the rest of the carapace. This can be caused by elevated incubation temperature, but could also be related to genetics.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hey, I loved hearing about Zola's adventures. I'm new to the forum too, and like you perused it for some time before joining and posting. Also, I lived in England as a child when my professor dad had a Guggenheim grant to work in the British Museum for a year. It was the happiest time in our lives. We lived out at was then the edge of the countryside; my brothers and I went to a lovely English primary school; my mother (whose family were very English New Englanders, her mother and aunt were educated in England, ) enjoyed every moment whether at home with my little sister, or, leaving us kids in the charge of a very nice babysitter, bopping around London with friends. My father had a longish commute into London but didn't mind it, as he enjoys trains and besides didn't actually have to go in every day.

In sum it's great to hear from a tortoise keeper in fair Ablion. (I've been back several times, the sweetest with my beloved mother, who is gone now. My favorite photograph is one of ther and me standing in front of the house we'd lived in in 68, a wonderful big place with a sunny conservatory, a rose garden in front of the house, and hedgehogs in the back garden.

Another reason I enjoyed reading your post is that although my tortoise is only three years old, my husband and I are devoted to her and have taken her on road trips. She has a little travel enclosure to keep her safe as she's still quite small, but I look forward to some day holding her in my lap as we conduct our road trips, as you hold Zola.

She is a California Desert Tortoise, and since we live not far from the native haunts of her ancestors, we've taken her up there, and in the summer, when it's warm enough, even up to the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains that rise over 14,000 feet above the Mojave. Before the COVID shut down the mountain lodges in July, we stayed at a cabin at 8000 feet. Even in summer the night temperatures can drop dramatically, so we go all set with her heat lamps. In the daytime in June it's usually a lovely 70 to 80 degrees farenheit. We set up her a temporary but sturdy totally enclosed cage on the cabin's front porch where she can enjoy sunshine or shade.

We never left her unsupervised there, even though her travel enclosure is so sturdy. One my husband and I take a little walk under the pine and fir trees, a lovely dappled shade. I carried her safely and carefully in one hand (couldn't do that now so easily--she's grown since them) and she was so relaxed and trusting that it melted the heart. She just sprawled in my hand, looking about her with interest as I walked along, occasionally gently rubbing under her chin.

My husband took a video of Cholla on this charming stroll, and if I knew how to get it from his iphone, and if I knew how to attach it to this post, I would

As you've experienced, people tend to respond with delighted interest at the sight of a tortoise on holiday, even here in Southern California, where they are more commonly kept as pets than in England.

I predict that some in the forum might disapprove of taking one's tortoise on holiday, due to various disruptions and risks. But the other option for my husband and is not to travel together to the desert at all, because we're so reluctant to leave our little pal Cholla with anybody. Even with our thirty-five year old daughter, who love Cholla "like an auntie" (her words, not mine) and who have some experience with keeping a Russian tortoise in her classroom (She's a Montessori teacher and she is legally designated as Cholla's guardian, should something happen to us. Desert tortoises are, sadly, an endangered species, and CDT's in captivity must be registered with the state of California.

One of many amazing things about Cholla, and probably about Zola, and undoubtedly many other beloved tortoises, is how much expression and mood they show, not only through their body language, but even in the face. The latter seems odd since their features are not exactly very mobile. But a happy shine in the eyes comes through, as well as cross, bored or grumpy looks. How do they do it? :tort: :) :tort:

Your pic of Zola amongst the Easter flowers is darling. I have some pretty cute ones of little Cholla among our spring pansies back in March, but again, I lack the technical know how to attach it. One of these days . . .

By the way, "Cholla" (pronounced Choya) is the Spanish name of a cactus native to the deserts of the American southwest. It's not very pretty until the sun illuminates the spines in early morning or near sunset, and then the cactus seems to be surrounded by a heavenly white nimbus.

Cholla sometimes seems like a quiet little angel to me, so peaceful to watch her rest or plod contentedly among the rocks and plants of her outdoor enclosure at home. Since I'm not working due to COVID19 I can spend peaceful hours just sitting beside her enclosure and watching her amble about, or bask, or lie half in and half out of her little burrow with her little front legs sprawled forward in the "superman position." Meanwhile I sip a cup of tea and lazily read a book. The pandemic and economic falllout is horrible,and meanwhile the U.S. seems to be going nuts; all the more thank God for the tranquil times with Cholla.

Good health to you, your husband, and your Zola!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for telling us about Cholla - I knew some people would think Zola's lifestyle weird , though we have always tried to make sure he enjoys it (which he clearly does), but I thought there were other people who would understand - as you do. I am sure Cholla is having a very happy life with you.
One thing I have thought for some time is that tortoises in general live their lives mainly at ground level, and yet Zola seems to really enjoy looking at things from a higher level e.g. when being carried. He really does keep his head and neck right out, so he can get a good view of wherever he is - I don't mean he can always make sense of it all, but he does find it very interesting. I wonder if this is something other tortoises would do,given the chance. Maybe you could try with Cholla? Of course, Zola has had eighteen years of these experiences, and I think his understanding has developed with time - I don't think he concentrated on what he is seeing as much at first.
I agree with you about the expressiveness of tortoise faces and body language - you missed out one that Zola certainly shows at times -" I don't know what I want, but I want it NOW !!!!"
Best wishes to you all from Angie

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thank you very much for telling us about Cholla - I knew some people would think Zola's lifestyle weird , though we have always tried to make sure he enjoys it (which he clearly does), but I thought there were other people who would understand - as you do. I am sure Cholla is having a very happy life with you.
One thing I have thought for some time is that tortoises in general live their lives mainly at ground level, and yet Zola seems to really enjoy looking at things from a higher level e.g. when being carried. He really does keep his head and neck right out, so he can get a good view of wherever he is - I don't mean he can always make sense of it all, but he does find it very interesting. I wonder if this is something other tortoises would do,given the chance. Maybe you could try with Cholla? Of course, Zola has had eighteen years of these experiences, and I think his understanding has developed with time - I don't think he concentrated on what he is seeing as much at first.
I agree with you about the expressiveness of tortoise faces and body language - you missed out one that Zola certainly shows at times -" I don't know what I want, but I want it NOW !!!!"
Best wishes to you all from Angie

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Yes, I have seen that look! Also--a related expression--one of determined obstinacy.

I, too, get the feeling that Cholla is interested in what she sees when being carried on a walk. As you say, I doubt she has much of a clue about what she's perceiving or why, but she does seem to perk up when being carried. It's not just the common neck-stretched-out-legs-pumping-"put me down!" look. Her legs are relaxed or tucked in, her little head turns gently as she looks around and her eyes are bright.

Here's a story about something I wonder if you've observed:

Before I knew better, I put Cholla down in the garden to truck around in the grass. She was very small, only 2 years old, and all it took was a moment of my inattention before I realized she had disappeared. In a panic I crawled around hunting all over for her under bushes and calling her name, though apparently tortoises don't hear as we do. After about twenty minutes of frantic fruitless searching I stood up to scan the yard. And there was Cholla, her neck stretched out tensely and moving out at the most rapid pace I've ever seen then or since. She was about 10 feet away on the grass. I sat down cross legged to get closer to her level; I called her name again. What happened then astonished me. She stopped, made a sharp right turn in my direction and sped in my direction. When she reached me, she stopped, laid her little chin atop my foot, closed her eyes, and stayed there for about five minutes, appearing to me to be as relieved as I was. And then, when I adjusted my position, she crawled into my lap and rested there for some time.

Was I simply projecting my human emotions onto her? Possibly. I suspect that would say certainly, but having experienced it, I can't share such certainty. I wish I had the incident on video, but I'm certainly not willing to conduct an experiment to see if it might happen again!

Best wishes back to you, your husband and Zola. Give his golden carapace a lovely stroke from me.

P.S. Given that he is "Zola", does he ever look at your husband and you with an expression than seems to say "J'accuse!"? :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Yes, I have seen that look! Also--a related expression--one of determined obstinacy.

I, too, get the feeling that Cholla is interested in what she sees when being carried on a walk. As you say, I doubt she has much of a clue about what she's perceiving or why, but she does seem to perk up when being carried. It's not just the common neck-stretched-out-legs-pumping-"put me down!" look. Her legs are relaxed or tucked in, her little head turns gently as she looks around and her eyes are bright.

Here's a story about something I wonder if you've observed:

Before I knew better, I put Cholla down in the garden to truck around in the grass. She was very small, only 2 years old, and all it took was a moment of my inattention before I realized she had disappeared. In a panic I crawled around hunting all over for her under bushes and calling her name, though apparently tortoises don't hear as we do. After about twenty minutes of frantic fruitless searching I stood up to scan the yard. And there was Cholla, her neck stretched out tensely and moving out at the most rapid pace I've ever seen then or since. She was about 10 feet away on the grass. I sat down cross legged to get closer to her level; I called her name again. What happened then astonished me. She stopped, made a sharp right turn in my direction and sped in my direction. When she reached me, she stopped, laid her little chin atop my foot, closed her eyes, and stayed there for about five minutes, appearing to me to be as relieved as I was. And then, when I adjusted my position, she crawled into my lap and rested there for some time.

Was I simply projecting my human emotions onto her? Possibly. I suspect that would say certainly, but having experienced it, I can't share such certainty. I wish I had the incident on video, but I'm certainly not willing to conduct an experiment to see if it might happen again!

Best wishes back to you, your husband and Zola. Give his golden carapace a lovely stroke from me.

P.S. Given that he is "Zola", does he ever look at your husband and you with an expression than seems to say "J'accuse!"? :)

Hello again
When we first got Zola,we didn't know if he was male or female, and we waited a bit to see if the appropriate name came to us - and as I was holding him,I suddenly realised that his name was Zola - it felt like he was telling me !! That settled it
Related names ...
Zola -the French writer Emile
Zola - Gian-Franco - a much admired and really charming Italian footballer (European football)
Zola -Budd - a famous female runner in the past - she ran in bare feet
Zola -in Swahili language the word means quietness
And my husband sometimes makes jokes about his name being Jack Hughes, after the book by Emile - but to me, anyway, I think Zola chose his own name - though I must admit I call him The Boy quite often.And yes, he can look very accusing -"How dare you stop me doing what I want"
Angie

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Hello again
When we first got Zola,we didn't know if he was male or female, and we waited a bit to see if the appropriate name came to us - and as I was holding him,I suddenly realised that his name was Zola - it felt like he was telling me !! That settled it
Related names ...
Zola - Gian-Franco - a much admired and really charming Italian footballer (European football)
And my husband sometimes makes jokes about his name being Jack Hughes, after the book by Emile - but to me, anyway, I think Zola chose his own name - though I must admit I call him The Boy quite often.And yes, he can look very accusing -"How dare you stop me doing what I want"
Angie

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Dear Angie,

Of all the "Zolas" you list, apart from Emile, my favorite is the Swahili. Peace. Yes. One of the most wonderful things about Cholla (and your Zola too.no doubt) is the peace that comes with her presence. I've little doubt that Zola, or his angel, let you know his name.

Speaking of angels, I teach school (or did, before the pandemic and my husband's high risk status put me into a somewhat early retirement). and I brought Cholla in to visit my students once or twice a year. I'd have the students write descriptive paragraphs her. One 13 year old boy described her as "this peaceful little angel". This otherwise "cool" kid was later embarrassed to have been so "mushy", but I told him that he wasn't being mushy, he was simply on to something cosmic. :)

Cosmic stuff does happen, after all. I mentioned in my first reply to you that my family lived in England when my father won a Guggenheim grant to research in his field at the British Museum. 40 years later one of my oldest and closest American friends met and married an Englishman who turned out to live in the very same village and neighborhood my family had inhabited that wonderful year. My friend had no idea, and couldn't at first understand why I was so amazed and excited when she told me the name of the town.

It must be cold in England now. Well I remember walking to school in November with winds that seemed to sweep down from the Siberian steppe. My brothers and I didn't mind it: as Californians we found it exotic and exciting, but I hope that you, your husband and Zola are keeping warm and toasty.

Yours,
Jennifer Thomas

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello again
Related names ...
Angie
Dear Angie,

Of all the "Zolas" you list, apart from Emile, my favorite is the Swahili. Peace. Yes. One of the most wonderful things about Cholla (and your Zola too.no doubt) is the peace that comes with her presence. I've little doubt that Zola, or his angel, let you know his name.

Speaking of angels, I teach school (or did, before the pandemic and my husband's high risk status put me into a somewhat early retirement). and I brought Cholla in to visit my students once or twice a year. I'd have the students write descriptive paragraphs her. One 13 year old boy described her as "this peaceful little angel". This otherwise "cool" kid was later embarrassed to have been so "mushy", but I told him that he wasn't being mushy, he was simply on to something cosmic. :)

Cosmic stuff does happen, after all. I mentioned in my first reply to you that my family lived in England when my father won a Guggenheim grant to research in his field at the British Museum. 40 years later one of my oldest and closest American friends met and married an Englishman who turned out to live in the very same village and neighborhood my family had inhabited that wonderful year. My friend had no idea, and couldn't at first understand why I was so amazed and excited when she told me the name of the town.

It must be cold in England now. Well I remember walking to school in November with winds that seemed to sweep down from the Siberian steppe. My brothers and I didn't mind it: as Californians we found it exotic and exciting, but I hope that you, your husband and Zola are keeping warm and toasty.

Yours,
Jennifer Thomas
It isn't usually all that cold where we live, but we do get a lot of strong winds, because of living near the coast. We have very few virus cases around here - a low population density, so we don't hesitate to go out in the car for Zola's daily excursion. We went to a nearby lake today, but it was cold, wet and windy, so we didn't stay long.Zola stretched his head out and enjoyed it, anyway. You hardly ever see him with his head in when we go out - only perhaps if something is flapping in his face - he even enjoys hail and snowflakes !!
It must have been a lovely experience when Cholla came running back to you - that trust is a wonderful thing - Zola likes to keep an eye on us when we put him down, but I think he might get distracted and wander away, if we let him - of course, he always assumes that we would be hovering nearby to protect him, so he hasn't perhaps learned that kind of awareness of situations that a wild tortoise might have.
Angie

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
It isn't usually all that cold where we live, but we do get a lot of strong winds, because of living near the coast. We have very few virus cases around here - a low population density, so we don't hesitate to go out in the car for Zola's daily excursion. We went to a nearby lake today, but it was cold, wet and windy, so we didn't stay long.Zola stretched his head out and enjoyed it, anyway. You hardly ever see him with his head in when we go out - only perhaps if something is flapping in his face - he even enjoys hail and snowflakes !!
It must have been a lovely experience when Cholla came running back to you - that trust is a wonderful thing - Zola likes to keep an eye on us when we put him down, but I think he might get distracted and wander away, if we let him - of course, he always assumes that we would be hovering nearby to protect him, so he hasn't perhaps learned that kind of awareness of situations that a wild tortoise might have.
Angie

jr_16

Fontana Ca

View attachment 309851
So cute i wish Zola many more years to come!!:))