Weird Behavior...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelfRescuingPrincess

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
So I've seen my tortoise act like this a few times before, but its never as, i dunno, fierce as he was acting a bit ago. Sometimes he rubs the side of his shell on his hide like he's scratching an itch (his hide is a plastic bin sort of thing). think like using a tree to scratch your back. usually he'll just do it for a few seconds, so i wasnt really worried that it was a problem. but like an hour ago i saw him running sideways across the cage. like really running. and i've never seen him do that at all. i looked him over because i thought maybe he had a peice of bark stuck in one of his legs or something, but there was nothing. so i set him on the carpet to see if he would do it again, and he did. i soaked him for a few minutes and tried again, and he walked normally. BUT now he keeps doing the scratching thing, like really really furiously. I can't see anything wrong with his shell or that anything should be bothering him. I keep misting him, but I don't really know what else i can do for him. I think he may be sleeping now, but is this some sign of something i don't know about? any ideas would be great. also "he" may be a she, but I just say he because I like his name and dont want to rename him.

Linsey
Washington State

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I'd check around for any sort of bugs in his enclosure, I've heard that there can be bugs in the substrate sometimes. Maybe there's a bug like a sand flea or something bothering him? I've never heard of something like this but I'm very new to tortoise keeping myself.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I don't have any real answers, but I do have some questions. (By the way, the running does not bother me. Odd, but not really troubling)

Approximate age and size? (Photos would help)
What does he do before and after scratching?
Does he always scratch in the same place on the tub? On his shell?

In the Library, I have a 'health' page that encourages a quick care review. You may want to give it a try- http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/health.html

Status
Not open for further replies.