What is this behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have witnessed this behavior, becoming more frequent lately, in our oldest (approx 6 y.o.) redfoot. As he walks by the wood hides in his cage he backs up and rubs on them with his rear-end. It looks just like he is scratching an itchy spot on the rump of his shell. Our dog does this when she rubs under the picnic table out back to scratch her back. But it seems unlikely to tortoises shell gets itchy (admittedly I've never donned a tort shell so I guess I don't know). We have seen a bit of this in our male Indian Star too, but it's rare. What does this behavior mean?

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Maybe he's scent marking his territory? This way incoming males or females know who he is and what belongs to him? I don't know, it's just a guess :)

Sara

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I think Sara may be on to something. I'm going out back and watching mine as I have both males together.

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OK guys, I had out Ally(RF) in our living room, under close supervision, and s/he did the same thing against the corner of our couch. S/he is 4-5 inches long. I thought of you immediately. Did you hear anymore about it.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
"Male lizards often have special, enlarged pores on the undersurface of their femurs that produce a waxy secretion that lizards will rub within their territories. Long thought to play an unknown role in scent marking, it has now been established that they are used in territorial marking of a different kind. The waxy secretion reflects ultraviolet light that lizards can see but we cannot - hence our failure to recognize the role of femoral pores."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.cabrillo.edu/~jcarothers/zoology/lab/notes/lepidosaurs/index.html

"Scent Glands
All Australian tortoises have four scent glands, one situated at each section of the bridge (where the carapace joins the plastron), and one alongside each back leg. The objectionable odour some tortoises emit is a defense mechanism that is generally employed when the tortoise is collected from the wild or is roughly handled. The species most notorious for this is the Common Snake-neck Tortoise (Chelodina Longicollis), but like all tortoises which follow this behavior it ceases to eject the pungent fluid once it becomes accustomed to being handled. It is hard to understand why some individuals emit this undesirable liquid, while others of the same species do not. The Saw-Shell Tortoise (Elseya Latisernum) and the New Guinea Snake-neck Tortoise (Chelodina Novaeguineae) appear to be the only species in Australia to emit a strong smelling fear odour."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.hypervision.com.au/aquarium/topics/creatures/tortoises/characteristics.htm

If lizards can scent mark and turtles/tortoises seem to have the glands as well (at least in some species), then why can't it be used the same way?

Sara

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sara, thanks for the cool info. Ally seems to defer to Stella most of the time. I'll have to see if Stella now steers clear of the area where Ally was. They are such interesting creatures. Thanks again, Jennifer

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I thought Red-foots scent marked with urine rather than a musk gland? Usually as they walked?

Have you seen any others sniffing the rubbed areas? That would seem to be the logical clue that it is scent marking.

Other possibilities:
- self-stimulation- scratching or just enjoying the sensation
- noise? I wonder if there is a chance they could be making communicating? We know Gopher Tortoises communicate with very low frequency sounds

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Here's another interesting tidbit. Near the same place Ally rubbed her shell on the side of the couch, Stella pooped. I hope they are both not boys. They are peacefully coexisting now, but males tend to fight don't they? Jennifer

Madkins007 said:
I thought Red-foots scent marked with urine rather than a musk gland? Usually as they walked?

Have you seen any others sniffing the rubbed areas? That would seem to be the logical clue that it is scent marking.

Other possibilities:
- self-stimulation- scratching or just enjoying the sensation
- noise? I wonder if there is a chance they could be making communicating? We know Gopher Tortoises communicate with very low frequency sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.