Should I worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
Footlocker is vomiting or pushing water out his mouth and nose and his poop was all green and runny. His eyes seem to have been running lately, but I haven't thought much of it until I saw him vomit water today. I don't know what his poop should look like, I haven't seen much of it outside his bath. He is eating what I feel should be a sufficient amount(small salad portion, like kids size) and there are days here and there he hasn't eaten, but it's like one day a week he won't eat. I don't really know how active he should be or other signs and symptoms. We have been working on upping the humidity. I don't know if he is over hydrated because he never really had hydration like he does now, even with how dry it can get, it's better than what he was used to. I have had him now a month. He is about 25-30 and is a rescue.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
he is 25-30 years old? if so I don't think you need to add humidity. I believe that is for babies. I don't know what could be wrong. Hold on and someone with more experience should be along soon.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
He does need humidity,just like any other redfoot. With the symptoms he has,I would take him to a veteranarian.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The combination of the words 'rescue' and 'vomiting' always make me nervous. Vomiting in tortoises can be many things, with some of the 'bad news' items being things like parasites, septicemia, or digestive disorders. Since it is a rescue, you have little back history, and it is all too easy to assume that it was not getting great cares.

I would recommend checking with Yvonne or Kristina, or another of our rescuers for advice.

MrsGREEN

5 Year Member
Yeah, I am in no position for any extra bills. I need some home remedies before I go the vet route. From what people tell me he is a rescue and I have partial history but don't actually know what was going on(he forsure had no lights or humidity control and was kept in a 1'x2' cat litter lid, fed frozen mixed veggies). He looks okay from when we got him and is looking better besides the weepy eyes. I guess the poo is how it should look, but it was water he was vomiting out of his nose and mouth that are concerning. Maybe not vomiting, but that's the closest way to describe it, maybe even oozing. It didn't seem to bother him much but to sneeze afterwards. His behavior seems normal, but I don't know what is going to be the norm since he is new and in a home 3.5 times the size of his old one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jackrat said:
He does need humidity,just like any other redfoot. With the symptoms he has,I would take him to a veteranarian.

Just wondering. I thought most or all torts once adults, actually once a year or two old didn't need added humidity. I mean as far as the way everyone keeps humidity for babies. This guy being 25/30 years old, would the humidity still be a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.