Need help with new Cherryhead Redfoot baby PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzafer

5 Year Member
I have a baby Cherryhead Redfoot that is a few months old. He looked exactly like this when we received him from the breeder. I am mostly worried about the bottom of his shell. It doesn't look right to me in comparison to other babies I have seen. He eats well, is active, but his shell is really starting to worry me. It hasn't gotten worse in the few months I've had him, but it hasn't gotten better either. I would appreciate any advice or comments in regards to the health of shell, what is wrong with him or what I should do to fix the issue. I have attached pictures of the bottom and top of his shell. Thank you!

IMG_0227.JPGIMG_0228.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Looks like a touch of shell rot/fungus going on....you can be sure to keep the area clean...also decrease the moisture exposure (only for awhile) in the overall enclosure (you can be sure to set up a warm humid hide in lieu of keeping the entire substrate moist) until you notice some improvement...

You can also use some athletes food cream on the areas affected...after you clean the area that is....

You will likely get some of the others opinions and offers of advice as well, the more the merrier...;)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I use a dilution of 1:10 Iodine to water and lightly scrub the area with a soft-bristled toothbrush to kill the fungus/bacteria. I do this 1-2 times before applying the antimicrobial creams, after that I just clean and dry their plastron with water then apply the cream. Angela's right on the athletes foot cream. If you see no improvement after 3-4 days (I highly doubt) you'll need to switch to an antibacterial cream.

Most importantly, you'll need to consider your current husbandry and substrate setup to avoid the plastron rot in the future. I've had bad luck with sphagnum moss, the trick is to keep a humid environment without having constantly wet substrate on the surface.

Linzafer

5 Year Member
Thank you both for your help! I will be starting the recommended treatment tonight. I really appreciate the advice.

Linzafer

5 Year Member
Here is a picture about 24 hours after treating Tortellini with the recommended Betadine solution and Clotrimazole cream. On her way to recovery :)

IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG

Thank you again for your help. Tortellini is beginning to look much better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.