Red-foot behavior

greenguy

Hi,
New to the forum but I have some questions. First, I have a Red Foot named Phil. I got him about a year ago from a lady who couldn't really afford to take care of him. He's about 8 in. So I have a couple of questions.

1. He had pretty bad "pyramiding" when I got him. Its not any worse but can it get better? Or is my goal just to prevent it from getting worse. I've tried to optimize his diet, lighting, space etc based on what I have read.

2. He has been acting crazy the last few days. Extremely active. He raises up really high when I walk around him and actually walks toward me when I let him walk around the house. He seems almost restless. He's eating well. And I always referred to him as a boy but today I confirmed that he is a guy because he displayed his manhood which is really big considering his size. Is this normal behavior? Is he in search of a mate or something? He just seems so restless all of the sudden and I haven't made any changes to his environment. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

When a young male tortoise first realizes he's got 'equipment,' he sometimes puts it out and plays with it. I'm GUESSING that he's just now reaching sexual maturity and is expressing his desire to find a girl tortoise.