Walter's Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Hi all, Walter had his vet visit which was basically an epic showcase of how much vets try to BS people. Several fine examples were: Small tortoises are like small dogs, their supposed to have underbites, like a Pomeranian. Along with; you can tell how healthy he is by the lumps on his shell... I was rather unimpressed. He also refused to grind his beak, the only thing I could get from his drastic flailing maneuver ( while he was holding Walter) is how funny it is when a tortoise poops on someone. I also changed all of Walters heat bulbs to 150 watts, which has made him much more active, he still likes his food held for him, but he eats with more gusto.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
You need a better vet! Can any of our Canadian members suggest a competent and knowledgable one?

In the meantime, get "Walter" a cuttlebone so she can work it down for herself as much as possible...carrots are good, too

Or you could use a small wire dyke (sterilize it, 1st), if you or your BF feel confident about trimming her beak, yourself, much like you would your nails, but do it in tiny increments if you do.

I've nver tried doing it w/ a Dremel, although I've heard of others who have, so I can't advise you on that operation.

Good luck with it.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Terry Allan Hall said:
You need a better vet! Can any of our Canadian members suggest a competent and knowledgable one?

In the meantime, get "Walter" a cuttlebone so she can work it down for herself as much as possible...carrots are good, too

Or you could use a small wire dyke (sterilize it, 1st), if you or your BF feel confident about trimming her beak, yourself, much like you would your nails, but do it in tiny increments if you do.

I've nver tried doing it w/ a Dremel, although I've heard of others who have, so I can't advise you on that operation.

Good luck with it.

Walter has a cuttlebone which she is very attached to. She also has a piece of slate which she attempts to eat off of. I wouldn't be brave enough to use a dremel so close to her face, or anythings face for that matter. I've been leaving her leaves in big chunks which supposedly helps too. I'm worried about hurting her or filling to far with a nail file.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Bow said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Good luck with it.

Walter has a cuttlebone which she is very attached to. She also has a piece of slate which she attempts to eat off of. I wouldn't be brave enough to use a dremel so close to her face, or anythings face for that matter. I've been leaving her leaves in big chunks which supposedly helps too. I'm worried about hurting her or filling to far with a nail file.

Can't say I blame you...before I attempted such things, I watched my vet buddy do it a couple times.

Possibly the cuttle bone and slate will work it down well enough, so long as she's getting enough to eat.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Terry Allan Hall said:
Can't say I blame you...before I attempted such things, I watched my vet buddy do it a couple times.

Possibly the cuttle bone and slate will work it down well enough, so long as she's getting enough to eat.

She seems to really like Bryce to hold her food, if he's willing to sit and hold a piece of green matter for 20 minutes while she considers it, then she starts eating like a crazy thing.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Bow said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

She seems to really like Bryce to hold her food, if he's willing to sit and hold a piece of green matter for 20 minutes while she considers it, then she starts eating like a crazy thing.

Well, isn't it nice how easily we can be trained to do our tortoises' bidding? :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can also place a couple well rounded rocks into the enclosure to give them a place to actually rub and file their beaks down.... they do use the rocks for this :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, I have found a new reptile vet because the last one told me my 2 adult RT's were male (they are female).
And he was from our reptile list!
That sounds like a frustrating experience.
However, at least your tort is able to eat (regarding the beak), so the cuttlebone, etc., should gradually take care of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are some really good vets out there. Such a shame that they can be so hard to find. I'm sure every decent vet cringes when they hear a story like this. I sure cringe whenever I hear stories about bad animal trainers...

Status
Not open for further replies.