First Vet Visit

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
Yesterday randy had his first visit to the vet since I rehomed him, it ended up being really great experience and thanks to all of the help and advice from everyone on the forum. The vet was impressed at how knowledgable I was about the appropriate care for a Russian tortoise and I explained how great of a resource this site as well as Randy's previous owner. I found out Randy's in great health, he's actually estimated to be around 30-40 years old! He was so well behaved and was a good sport about getting his beak trimmed a little. I am so thankful to have a great resource to help me take care of my little guy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's really good and you did the right thing by getting the knowledge first before going in.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Thanks! I made sure before I rehomed randy that I could commit myself to his care for the rest of his/ my life. The vet and I actually had a nice conversation about how pet stores need to be held more accountable for the information they give about the care for different animals especially reptiles. Tortoises are a big commitment and not every new owner understands that, but if you take good care of your tort it's amazing the relationship you build.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
Thanks! I made sure before I rehomed randy that I could commit myself to his care for the rest of his/ my life. The vet and I actually had a nice conversation about how pet stores need to be held more accountable for the information they give about the care for different animals especially reptiles. Tortoises are a big commitment and not every new owner understands that, but if you take good care of your tort it's amazing the relationship you build.

Very well said. Kudos to you for all you have done (such as the pre-research) and will continue to do for Randy. All the writing folks do in here and all the advise/knowledge given, does not mean anything or make a difference in a tortoise's life unless the caretaker is willing to take the information and use it.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I completely agree, tortoises are amazing animals but they require a lot for their care they arnt for everyone.

I thought I'd attach some recent pictures of randy! The first is him waiting with the kitty from the vets to see the doc. Another is how he's been sleeping in his "nest" he dig out with his butt in the air! ImageUploadedByTortForum1385222971.328413.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385222984.946506.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385223012.662409.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385223071.811618.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385223094.596287.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So the pretty calico belonged to the Vet? Cute lil butt shot. :D

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Yes she does she was very interested in him, randy is use to cats he has 3 furry siblings haha