1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Views on hibernating

Discussion in 'Hermanns tortoises' started by Ernestralph, May 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Ernestralph

Ernestralph New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    United Kingdom
    What are peoples views on hibernation? I am yet to hibernate my 3 year old Hermans tortoise.

Attached Files:

2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Nothing says you have to hibernate a tort !
    Ernestralph likes this.
  3. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator

CA
    Some people say it's detrimental others say it's beneficial it's simply a biological reaction to cold weather. They've been doing it for millions of years now so I think I'm okay with it :)
  4. Grandpa Turtle 144

But do you feel new people should gamble their torts lives to try to hibernate the torts ?
  5. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator

CA
    I always tell new tortoise owners 2 never hibernate first year. You have no idea of their past feeding, health, everything,
  6. Grandpa Turtle 144

Yes , but why hibernate ?
  7. Okapizebra

Okapizebra Member

Wellington Florida
    I personally have not hibernated my tortoise and do not currently plan to. I live in hot florida and I have access to food year round so it doesn't seem necessary for me or my tort.
  8. Ernestralph

Ernestralph New Member

United Kingdom
    Thank you for your views and opinions, I guess I'm just wondering will it be bad for him long term if he doesn't hibernate? He currently lives indoors and temps are good.
  9. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    My view is that if they do it in the wild, we should also do it in captivity. The caveat is that it needs to be done correctly, indoors, under controlled conditions. Leaving them outside subject to the cruel whims of Mother Nature often leads to their deaths.
  10. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
    don't know if it's from living outside or the hibernating , but they sure appear healthier to me for having hibernated ……… I read a lot on here of folks keeping their animals indoors under artificial lights and heat that claim their animals slow down and lose their appetites during winter time ,seems if that's the case something internal must be telling them they need to hibernate . if it were just an otherwise unnecessary reaction to daylight and temp i wouldn't think that would happen ……it is known there are hormones that peak shortly after hibernation and then wane as fall approaches....some appear to need a dormant period for normal reproduction …I personally think there may be some benefit to drawing down their reserves during the hibernation process , I've read a contributing cause to fatty liver in captive turtles is thought to be lack of hibernation …whole lot of physiological stuff I've not taken the time to understand goes on involving the liver and pancreas during hibernation …. i'd agree you need to take the time to understand what are optimal conditions for them to hibernate and provide them …….hibernating indoors can be easier and safer if done right …….. predation is probably the leading cause of death in hibernating land turtles and tortoises ……….. I have loose dogs 24/7/365 around the perimeters of the turtle pens , I've never lost a turtle from letting them hibernate ….. if you know they're healthy , what they need , and provide it , it doesn't appear dangerous to me at all , at least not the terrestrial hibernating ones ……..
    Ernestralph likes this.