Valley fever?

Ari

So I took my dog for a second opinion since I didn't trust the vet he originally saw. He doesn't have a torn ligament the X-rays show mottled bone in that leg which the vet said was a sign of valley fever along with his other symptoms. So my question is: can a tortoise get valley fever? I forgot to ask the vet but I know valley fever is in the dirt here in AZ and since the tortoises walk around outside is this something I need to have them tested for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
From the 'net:

Valley Fever can affect many types of animals and most mammals can be shown to be infected with the fungus. Species in which valley fever has been isolated include: humans, dogs, cats, pigs, cows, horses, apes and monkeys, kangaroos, lamas, wallabies, tigers, bears, badgers, otters, dolphins, skunk, mountain lions, coyote and javelin.

Looks like it only manifests in mammals.

Ari

Ok thanks! I was really worried after the diagnosis last night and worried about my dog I completely forgot to ask the vet then I wake up this morning and put the torts outside and was like crap can they get it too.