wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are not suppose to have lights at night. A proper enclosure will have a tube florescent uvb bulb, and a ceramic heat emitter or two for any added day heat needed and night heat. RF usually don't bask and don't like it too bright so a basking bulb isn't really needed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think she did indeed get burned. The red on her leg along with the scute missing and the one that's loose
Only way heat from underneath is safe is if there is also heat above and both on a thermostat.
Never heat something and wrap them up like you did.
Build a proper hide for night time with the proper heating or bring her in the house to a proper sized enclosure heated enclosure.
I agree, Barb and Steve.
It's a severe burn.
Most of that carapace will recover. Once the burned, dead area is finished falling off.
Athletes Foot cream won't be effective. You can use a mild antibiotic of your choice daily. And do not do any more scrubbing of the area because it's probably very sensitive.
Can you post photos of your entire enclosure just in case we can suggest any other tweaks to help your little guy out?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok
You do not need a vet this time.
But do educate yourself on tortoise care.
Show us what you're using and ask questions.
This hobby has a large learning section. We're all gaining knowledge as we go.
Your tortoise will recover from this.

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was giving my 3 yr old redfoot a bath and I noticed one of her plastron scutes had fallen off. I was kind of horrified by that but after a lot of research I started immediately treating her with Beta iodine and a topical skin cream. I also used Chlorhexidine diluted to clean the area scrubbing it with a toothbrush. It was looking better but today I noticed a larger scute is now coming off. I’m so upset I thought this was getting under control. I rubbed betaiodine on the underside so it is so sad to see a large scute coming off. I am having a hard time finding a vet, Berkeley cat and dog list their reptile vet so they can’t help. I might have found a place in Castro valley. Can anyone help me out? What am i doing wrong? She is very active and eating normally.

When did you first notice it, and how long were you treating it prior to last night?

SuzR

Bay Area
Thanks again I’m super grateful to you all, I would have kept treating her for the totally wrong thing!

SuzR

Bay Area
Update: I took her to the vet today (finally was able to find a tortoise vet) and he said it was definitely a burn. I’m taking her back next week he will remove the loose and dead scoots and apply some kind of epoxy to protect her while the new shell grows, he said likely 6 months. They are going to keep her for three days and treat her with antibiotics and make sure the area is clean and protected. So you guys were spot on in terms of what you thought it was. He also asked me if it could be an animal bite and i explained that it wasn’t possible. So my poor girl will get fixed up next week. Thanks again for the great information!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Update: I took her to the vet today (finally was able to find a tortoise vet) and he said it was definitely a burn. I’m taking her back next week he will remove the loose and dead scoots and apply some kind of epoxy to protect her while the new shell grows, he said likely 6 months. They are going to keep her for three days and treat her with antibiotics and make sure the area is clean and protected. So you guys were spot on in terms of what you thought it was. He also asked me if it could be an animal bite and i explained that it wasn’t possible. So my poor girl will get fixed up next week. Thanks again for the great information!!!
That's why we're all here.
Please stick around. And soon you'll be offering your own advice and telling others about your experiences.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please do keep us informed on her progress!

And please always make sure she has water available for drinking so she does not become dehydrated, especially being on antibiotics.