UVB Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is what most of us uses. Be sure you get the proper fixture for it that has a ceramic socket. Also, incase you haven't read them yet, check out Toms great threads below in my post. They all are great for raising a leopard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you live?

The BEST idea is to use just a regular hardware store flood bulb for indoor heat, and get your tortoise into a large, well planted, safe, outdoor enclosure at least a couple of times a week.

If you must house your baby all indoors all winter long due to weather or climate, then yes the Powersun is an excellent choice but I think you need a bigger enclosure to use such a big bulb. A 60 gallon is fine to start a hatchling, but it will quickly become too small.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I live in So Cal where the sun is shining a lot. I do take her outside almost every day, but the past few days have not been the warmest for her. When it is cold for her I take her out and let her walk around in front of the sliding glass door to give her sun light. So Tom do you think that I need to get the UVB or just continue doing what I am doing. Right now she seems to be having an issue with weak front right leg. So I am going to increase her calcium (which I was giving her it 2x a week). I will be purchasing different type because what I have I received from the breeder and have no idea what kind it is. She has a curve in her spine and her plastron is a little deformed. She has shown no signs of any type of complication so I do not know if this is a sign of MBD (that maybe she was born with) or is it the fact that I need to increase the calcium for her daily. I have noticed her leg on Saturday and have been worried sick. So any advice is great! Thanks.

IMAG0292_zps9b807321.jpg

IMAG0290_zpsb39f0941.jpg

IMAG0240_zps40160740.jpg

here is some pic of her

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
What made you choose this one? I am wondering if it has some kind of birth defect. I don't know anything about leopards but I was curious because of the problem you are mentioning. I know others will chime in that know about leopards. You can also pm Tom, he might be able to help you out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The strange scute formation on the carapace is a common occurrence and does not harm the tortoise. The plastron shows where the yolk was attached. It usually doesn't look crooked like that, but my best GUESS is that it is not harmful either.

Just provide the required humidity and get the baby out for real sunshine as often as you can, and you really won't need a UVB light in the house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kirin said:
I live in So Cal where the sun is shining a lot. I do take her outside almost every day, but the past few days have not been the warmest for her. When it is cold for her I take her out and let her walk around in front of the sliding glass door to give her sun light. So Tom do you think that I need to get the UVB or just continue doing what I am doing. Right now she seems to be having an issue with weak front right leg. So I am going to increase her calcium (which I was giving her it 2x a week). I will be purchasing different type because what I have I received from the breeder and have no idea what kind it is. She has a curve in her spine and her plastron is a little deformed. She has shown no signs of any type of complication so I do not know if this is a sign of MBD (that maybe she was born with) or is it the fact that I need to increase the calcium for her daily. I have noticed her leg on Saturday and have been worried sick. So any advice is great! Thanks.

Sunshine a couple of times a week will fulfill her D3 needs, so no, I don't think you need a special indoor UV bulb. Especially with Spring in the air.

Sunlight through glass does not give them any UV benefit. Might offer psychological or warming benefits though.

See that hair on the carpet in the second pic? Those can be deadly for a baby tortoise. They can swallow it and as it goes through the GI tract it can bind up and cut off circulation leading to the death of that tissue and eventual necrotic bacterial contamination of the peritoneal cavity. Not good. I've also seen reptiles lose toes or feet due to strangulation from hairs like that. I don't recommend letting tortoises run around loose in a house.

About the leg problem: Looking at the pics, it seems your tortoise has some serious birth defects. I don't think calcium is gong to help this. Only time will tell if whatever is wrong on the inside is survivable or not, but from the look of the outside, I would not hold my breath. I don't intend to be harsh, just straightforward and honest, so you are aware of what you've got. Something went terribly wrong during incubation with your hatchling. The most likely candidate is overheating, but it could be other things too. All you can do is offer correct temps and husbandry and hope for the best. She may live a long happy life, and just be a little "different". If you paid money for this hatchling, you should be asking for a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.