Is this one bulb all I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleanor

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!
New to the forum here. I am hoping to own a Russian Tortoise soon, and have read almost everything I can on them. But there is one topic that still confuses me: Lighting. I know that they need heat for a basking spot and UV light. I was going to go with a basking bulb over the basking area and then a UVB strip for the rest of the tank, but I couldn't seem to find a fixture to fit the strip.

Then I came across this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752615&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

It appears to have all lighting requirements in one. Is that all I need? If not, I promise I'm not trying to slack, I'm just confused :p. One bulb seems so easy and simple I'm a bit skeptical haha. :D

Thank you very much! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Eleanor!

Yes, that's the bulb to use. It provides UVB plus the heat they need.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a fine bulb, all in one. The only downside is that it concentrates the light in one area of the enclosure. So you might need to add a second regular house bulb (75w?) partway down to keep the enclosure light during the day. (Or, add a tube UV light, even better as there would be more UV.)

GB tortoise, one of the experienced Russian tortoise keepers on this site, uses a basking light (no UV) and the tube lights. The tube UV lights are positioned the length of the enclosure.
You can use any regular tube fixture that fits the bulb. Places like Home Depot sell the fixtures that fit the T8 bulbs like the Reptisun 10.0. Most tube lights are what they call T8 (thickness of bulb), in the various lengths. Some of the newer reptile tube lights (supposedly more UV) are T5, a slightly different size.
Go to this thread and scroll to post #3.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38905.html

What kind of tube UV fluorescent bulb were you thinking of getting? I can give you a couple of web sites for fixtures, just let me know.
IF you get the Powersun 100w, remember to get a fixture with a ceramic base (brooder fixtures sold at feeds stores work well).

Hopefully in the warmer months your tort can be outside. The above applies mostly to the winter months if you don't hibernate your tortoise.
Lighting your tortoise is confusing, mainly because there are several ways to do this. It really depends on where in the world you live: people in warmer/sunnier climates get to use the sun as their bulb. Those of us in the North need to fine tune the inside enclosures a bit more...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Elanor.
I agree with all of the above. Either of your two proposed strategies will work just fine, and outside time in a large safe enclosure is the best strategy ever.

Eleanor

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and great info! My sister recommended I check out this site and I can definitely see why.

I think I will go with the 100w PowerSun. I have one more question about the fixture for it, though. Would this be sufficient?:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12462453&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
It doesn't say how many watts it can handle. :( And it says 5.5 size, but I don't know the size of the PowerSun. Would something like this be better?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3569157&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No Again, not much info on what type of bulb it fits.

Cheers! :tort:

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
I'd go with the larger domes (Fluker Deep Dome, or Zoo Med Deep Dome). They are both rated for 160W I believe, so should work. With only 1 Powersun 100W and no other UVB tube, you'll want to be able to disperse the lighting and UVB as wide as feasible, so the larger domes are better. You'll also need a proper light stand (Zoo Med makes one) so you can adjust the distance of the bulb from the basking spot to get the right temperature. Remember, the Powersun bulbs need to be hanging straight down to function properly, so no light clamps and angling the light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eleanor said:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and great info! My sister recommended I check out this site and I can definitely see why.

I think I will go with the 100w PowerSun. I have one more question about the fixture for it, though. Would this be sufficient?:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12462453&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
It doesn't say how many watts it can handle. :( And it says 5.5 size, but I don't know the size of the PowerSun. Would something like this be better?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3569157&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No Again, not much info on what type of bulb it fits.

Cheers! :tort:

Your best bet would be to go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes and get an 11" aluminum domed, ceramic fixture. The hardware store ones come with a heavier duty cord.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Or a feed store. I saw some domed fixtures with a ceramic base and a good cord at Home Depot yesterday, about $13.

The one you posted looks like it might not support enough wattage, not sure.

Or look for the Deep Dome Zoo med light fixtures. Also, the fixture and bulb need to hand straight down to work properly, so build a wood or PVC frame, or get the Zoo Med Lamp stand, which is adjustable.

~Amanda~

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Rogue said:
I'd go with the larger domes (Fluker Deep Dome, or Zoo Med Deep Dome). They are both rated for 160W I believe, so should work. With only 1 Powersun 100W and no other UVB tube, you'll want to be able to disperse the lighting and UVB as wide as feasible, so the larger domes are better. You'll also need a proper light stand (Zoo Med makes one) so you can adjust the distance of the bulb from the basking spot to get the right temperature. Remember, the Powersun bulbs need to be hanging straight down to function properly, so no light clamps and angling the light.

Tom said:
Your best bet would be to go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes and get an 11" aluminum domed, ceramic fixture. The hardware store ones come with a heavier duty cord.

lynnedit said:
Or a feed store. I saw some domed fixtures with a ceramic base and a good cord at Home Depot yesterday, about $13.

The one you posted looks like it might not support enough wattage, not sure.

Or look for the Deep Dome Zoo med light fixtures. Also, the fixture and bulb need to hand straight down to work properly, so build a wood or PVC frame, or get the Zoo Med Lamp stand, which is adjustable.

Thanks all! Then would something like this be a good choice? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3643779&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No It's not deep dome, but lets you control the strength of the temperature. I can't use a light on a stand because the enclosure sits on a stand that fits it perfectly and doesn't allow room for a lamp stand to be placed. (If that makes sense? Hard to explain haha)

EDIT To Avoid Confusion: I just realized I posted this comment from my sister's account. Me and my sis share the same computer and sometimes forget to log out on here. -Eleanor

Eleanor

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Well, the MVB (powersun) bulbs can't be dimmed. They can only be turned n or off. So that fixture wouldn't work.
Something like this:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rm={keyword}&gclid=CIbd96LF6bUCFa9aMgod9wMAIw

Ah, I see. Thanks for telling me that haha. And thanks for the link, that's perfect. The stores around me (and their sites) only sell the double version of that dome ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12465734&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No ) so I guess I'll have to look around elsewhere... a bit limited in reptile supplies in my area. However, now that I know exactly what I need, I'll figure something out.

Thanks again! You guys have been wonderful. I'm quite grateful for the advice here.

Eleanor

5 Year Member
Update:
Nevermind, I was actually able to find it in my local store! So, problem solved. Thanks everyone! I finally understand what I need for lighting haha. I hate to be repetitive, but seriously, the advice really helped. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.