Update on Tebow's Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi guys,

Once again, I'd just like to say thanks for all your advice and input...

I've taken steps to try and get Tebow active.

He's still not moving around a lot after taking out the coil UVB bulb. Hopefully, his T-Rex will be in today.

He also isn't opening his eyes and still trying to rub them pretty regularly. He didn't even open them when outside today...until I went in and got a paper towel and dripped some water onto them.

They opened up then. His eyes don't look swollen or irritated. Whenever they're opened they seem to be fine.

So what I've done is throw some towels over his pen and gave the pen a good soaking. I'm hoping this will get the all around temperature up and increase the humidity.

I'm still waiting for the CHE to come in to.

It's not over yet, but I'm determined to get him active, eating, and moving.

Let's hope this all pans out ok.

P.S. If his eyes still won't open after these actions, should I purchase the Terramycin ointment?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its always a good idea to have the ointment on hand.

The best way to get the eyes open is put the tortoise into some warm water for a good soak. The water should come up to the middle of his sides, where the top meets the bottom (the bridge). His head shouldn't be under the water. The eyes will open in a few minutes.

It may take a while for the damage done by the coil bulb to be rectified (and if there is damage, then the ointment will certainly help and soothe). Do you keep Tebow's substrate moist? That also helps keep the eyes opening. Speaking of which, I don't remember what kind of substrate you're using. You should have something that you can moisten like cypress mulch, orchid bark, coconut coir/dirt/sand, etc.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
emysemys said:
Its always a good idea to have the ointment on hand.

The best way to get the eyes open is put the tortoise into some warm water for a good soak. The water should come up to the middle of his sides, where the top meets the bottom (the bridge). His head shouldn't be under the water. The eyes will open in a few minutes.

It may take a while for the damage done by the coil bulb to be rectified (and if there is damage, then the ointment will certainly help and soothe). Do you keep Tebow's substrate moist? That also helps keep the eyes opening. Speaking of which, I don't remember what kind of substrate you're using. You should have something that you can moisten like cypress mulch, orchid bark, coconut coir/dirt/sand, etc.

Hi Yvonne,

Yes, I keep the substrate moist and I use a 50/50 coconut coir and top soil as his substrate.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Good luck with getting him better! Soaks will definitely help.

Is the T-rex bulb you're getting the "Active UV Heat" or is it just the "UV Heat"?

The normal "UV Heat" provides very little, if any UVB from what I understand, and the "Active" ones are the good ones.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Seiryu said:
Good luck with getting him better! Soaks will definitely help.

Is the T-rex bulb you're getting the "Active UV Heat" or is it just the "UV Heat"?

The normal "UV Heat" provides very little, if any UVB from what I understand, and the "Active" ones are the good ones.

Thanks for the support!

It's a T-Rex Active UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.