Lethargic Sulcata REALLY WORRIED

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
They look kinda dry. their shells look decent too. I can't really help you because I have little xp on sulcatas. But I DO know you should soak them daily. Are you talking about the big one? If so that is the one you adopted no? Do you know what conditions it came in?

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I just put fresh warm water and he looked more alert. I tilted him face down a couple seconds to see if any mucus came out, but it was clear, both nostrils were clean. I seen people on youtube clear their lungs or airway like that when they have a cold. Store across street didn't have gerbert so im just gonna boil carrots and make pudding. Should be better than Gerber right ?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Is that Sand, the face looks bitten, bulling, soil looks to dry. Can we stick the question of what to do with a lethargic tortoise? Sorry if I'm coming off as mean, just irritated. I've built several closed chamber and kept 3 healthy sulcatas for almost a year. I'm asking a question about a lethargic tortoise.

A lethargic tortoise can be caused by several reasons. Lighting, heat, substrate material, diet, multiple tortoise housing situations and enclosure space are all relevant and can be contributing factors to a tortoise's symptoms. The problem with tortoises is that symptoms usually present themselves at a very late stage. Your tortoise may have been struggling long before the symptoms have been occurring.

Examples:
1. Incorrect temperature levels may lead to problems with digestion.
2. Substrate material may cause impaction which causes severe blockages and can keep tortoises from eating properly or doing anything.
3. Multiple housemates may cause bullying which can lead to stress and depression. Tortoises that are often bullied will often become too scared to eat and or be near the vicinity of other tortoises for fear of retaliation.
4. Non balanced diets in some cases such as a heavy store bought greens diet may cause kidney and liver issues. The pain stemming from these possible symptoms may keep a tortoise being active.

Other members can probably think of more possible concerns such as these. These are all examples of how other relating factors can cause lifelessness in tortoises. So answering other questions can possibly help.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
A lethargic tortoise can be caused by several reasons. Lighting, heat, substrate material, diet, multiple tortoise housing situations and enclosure space are all relevant and can be contributing factors to a tortoise's symptoms. The problem with tortoises is that symptoms usually present themselves at a very late stage. Your tortoise may have been struggling long before the symptoms have been occurring.

Examples:
1. Incorrect temperature levels may lead to problems with digestion.
2. Substrate material may cause impaction which causes severe blockages and can keep tortoises from eating properly or doing anything.
3. Multiple housemates may cause bullying which can lead to stress and depression. Tortoises that are often bullied will often become too scared to eat and or be near the vicinity of other tortoises for fear of retaliation.
4. Non balanced diets in some cases such as a heavy store bought greens diet may cause kidney and liver issues. The pain stemming from these possible symptoms may keep a tortoise being active.

Other members can probably think of more possible concerns such as these. These are all examples of how other relating factors can cause lifelessness in tortoises. So answering other questions can possibly help.
I try to hard to give them the best food. I keep the store food to a min. Look how bald my hibiscus trees are, I planted it for them and tear leaves and flowers daily . He's waking up and looking more alert. Still boiling his carrots20181004_152218.jpeg1538692213714.jpeg20181004_152740.jpeg20181004_152754.jpeg

xphare

Denver
Its good his eyes are open and he looks alert but that substrate looks super dry. Maybe a good spray is needed if the temps are correct.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How long warm soak? I think he might of got sick yesterday, you think he can get sick in 77 degree ? I live in LA and we had a so called storm yesterday, it sprinkled for 2 min and stopped. I took them out after becuae it was sunny and almost 80 degrees. But they like the concrete area, I was just thinking if it was 76 degrees concrete had to be around 66 degrees
Possibly too cold.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, continue with the vet cards whatever that is. However, I would keep up the warm carrot and piedialyte soaks once a day with a second soak later of just water. Keep the temps no lower then 85 and do not take him outside unless the temp is 80 or above. Do this for at least a week after he seems better.
I wouldn't jump at a vet visit unless there is no improvement in a day or two or he gets worse. If he starts to improve I would not take him to the vet unless you know it's a knowledgeable tortoise vet.
Good luck, keep us posted and please separate and keep them separated until they are much larger, you know the sexes and you have a giant acreage yard to give them.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Okay, continue with the vet cards whatever that is. However, I would keep up the warm carrot and piedialyte soaks once a day with a second soak later of just water. Keep the temps no lower then 85 and do not take him outside unless the temp is 80 or above. Do this for at least a week after he seems better.
I wouldn't jump at a vet visit unless there is no improvement in a day or two or he gets worse. If he starts to improve I would not take him to the vet unless you know it's a knowledgeable tortoise vet.
Good luck, keep us posted and please separate and keep them separated until they are much larger, you know the sexes and you have a giant acreage yard to give them.
Oh ok duh. I was gonna put pedialyte in water dish, wasn't even thinking of soaking him with it. I just use the baby pedialyte from market right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Im crossing my fingers, right now I gave him a break from his soak, he was in there over an hour and when u took him out he was kicking and almost seemed active again. I gave him a break to eat his boiled carrots View attachment 253325
The carrots are suppose to be puréed and mixed into the soaking water.
If he will eat them like you have them, then that's fine. If he doesn't then purée them and mix in soaking water

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh ok duh. I was gonna put pedialyte in water dish, wasn't even thinking of soaking him with it. I just use the baby pedialyte from market right?
Yes. Put the piedialyte in the soak water once a day. Same with the puréed carrots but if he won't eat them the way you have them. Usually though sick torts aren't eating so putting it in the soak water they can absorb it and may also get them to want to drink and eat.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Yes. Put the piedialyte in the soak water once a day. Same with the puréed carrots but if he won't eat them the way you have them. Usually though sick torts aren't eating so putting it in the soak water they can absorb it and may also get them to want to drink and eat.
I'm currently soaking him in pydilite mixed with carrots gerbert. He looks way more alert then yesterday. I hope he pulls through. I'm glad he pooped. I was worried he couldn't go.

Please tell me I didn't mess up. I just noticed you said to put the pydilite in his soak water. I'm actually soaking him in pure pydilite. No water. That's ok right?

Ok so I should give him 3 one hour soaks a day with one of the soaks being pydilate right ? It's ok if I put carrot gerbert in all 3 soaks ?

It's looking good tho. I didn't wanna lose the little guy.
20181005_112838.jpeg20181005_112934.jpeg20181005_113945.jpeg

Last edited:

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks you, these little guys mean a lot to me. I got tank and scooter in February, a couple months later my dad passed. I have a bunch of pictures with my dad with tank and scooter. That's why I didn't wanna lose the little guy.

Is it the older one who is acting lethargic? What's his name? Fingers crossed that he improves soon

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Great news, I was about to give him a second soak today, and when I went I caught him eating. It's the first time he's moved around since yesterday morning. He slept all day yesterday and this morning, but after the pydilite bath today, it woke him up.

Gonna let him eat then give him another pydilite bath with carrot Gerber

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Is it the older one who is acting lethargic? What's his name? Fingers crossed that he improves soon
No its Tank that's sick, the little one. The big one is Rocky, Rocky is happier than ever. He has really came out of his shell lol. I adopted him few months and I dont know if the family had kids or dogs but he came all traumatized. Sometimes he would pee just by me walking up on him too fast. Now he walks up immediately to me all the time. He knows everytime I open enclosure it's either food time or play time outside. So he walks up to me immediately