Lethargic Sulcata REALLY WORRIED

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Today 1 of my sulcatas is acting lethargic. I take them outside almost daily to get an hour or two of sun. I pay lots of attention daily to them. Today I noticed right away, one of my 8 month old is acting lethargic. When I went to pick him up to take him outside, he was sleeping and didn't even open his eyes until after a couple of seconds after I picked him up. Then he opened his eyes. After an hour on the way back in he asleep again. I lifted him and he was still asleep. Then once again he woke up late.

His eyes look shiny wet, I think that's a good sign right? Not dehydrated or sunken in. He also still tucks his head in.

The issue is about 2 hours old and im so worried. I dont really have money and vets won't help you if you can't pay.

Do you think maybe he's just sleepy from last night? He's never acted lethargic before.

Melis

Maryland
Can you post a photo of him? A question that is typically asked in order to rule out bullying, are the 2 housed together? Is he eating?

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Can you post a photo of him? A question that is typically asked in order to rule out bullying, are the 2 housed together? Is he eating?
I have three sulcatas, I know everybody is gonna get mad at me but I had 3 enclosures and I'm struggling right now. I couldn't really afford buying soil for 3 enclosures and all the light bulbs were wasting electricity. So I slowly let them get to know each other over several weeks and started housing them together. Believe it or not it actually stopped the bullying. I had two 4 month old that would bully each other. And when I introduced the 8 month old I adopted, a new chain of command was set, and the 2 little ones bulling each other ended. The little one actually tried bullying the big one first couple days, but now they all get along. I know how to avoid bullying, I never had reptiles but I've had many pairs of pitbulls and rottweilers. I know how to control alpha males 20181004_133036.jpeg20181004_132541.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
Hello. The enclosure and the tortoise are looking very dry. Do you soak your torts regularly ?
The tort with the close eyes is already pyramided. No good sign.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Does anybody know if vets finance ? I don't have bad credit, I just don't have credit. I've never applied to credit cards. I only have like 50$. If he still lethargic tomorrow i will try and borrow money to take him to vet. I don't wanna lose the three little guy20181004_133036.jpeg20181004_135512.jpeg20181004_135547.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
Btw: Reptiles don`t know alpha males at this young age. But they can bullying each other for food and the best place to bask. Can you upload a pic which shows how big is the older sully in comparison with the two younger ones ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you think the bullying stopped. You first need to get them in their own enclosure. If you can't afford three then rehome two but it's not fair to have what you can't afford at their expense. The experienced members on here already know what you don't and that's why they share it with us.
Get them separated asap. Give the slow one a warm soak with baby food carrots and some piedialyte. Raise the temp to 85 no lower.
Sorry if I sound a bit mean. But, you already knew they needed to be separated. Now your tortoise is paying for not taking the advice.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Hello. The enclosure and the tortoise are looking very dry. Do you soak your torts regularly ?
The tort with the close eyes is already pyramided. No good sign.
Naw it's not that, the big one came with bumps, the 2 little guys I've had them since hatchlings. I also wonder why they look pyrimided in pictures. In person the look perfectly round. I see what you're saying but no, I have closed chamber with 80%to100% humidity. If you scrape the top soil it's dark moist soil underneath.

I also soak every two days sometimes daily

Bee62

Germany
The mouth of the sleepy one looks strange. It looks like he was bitten. Hopefully I am wrong.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I think you think the bullying stopped. You first need to get them in their own enclosure. If you can't afford three then rehome two but it's not fair to have what you can't afford at their expense. The experienced members on here already know what you don't and that's why they share it with us.
Get them separated asap. Give the slow one a warm soak with baby food carrots and some piedialyte. Raise the temp to 85 no lower.
Sorry if I sound a bit mean. But, you already knew they needed to be separated. Now your tortoise is paying for not taking the advice.
How long warm soak? I think he might of got sick yesterday, you think he can get sick in 77 degree ? I live in LA and we had a so called storm yesterday, it sprinkled for 2 min and stopped. I took them out after becuae it was sunny and almost 80 degrees. But they like the concrete area, I was just thinking if it was 76 degrees concrete had to be around 66 degrees

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
How long warm soak? I think he might of got sick yesterday, you think he can get sick in 77 degree ? I live in LA and we had a so called storm yesterday, it sprinkled for 2 min and stopped. I took them out after becuae it was sunny and almost 80 degrees. But they like the concrete area, I was just thinking if it was 76 degrees concrete had to be around 66 degrees
Theres a little store across the street. Should I buy him baby food? Like a gerbert or something?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Young tortoises should be soaked daily for 20-30 minutes in warm water. They should not be soaked together. Even breeders will start to separate clutches mates if they detect signs of bullying. Housing tortoises will known histories of bullying together with other tortoises will only encourage this behavior to continue.

1. Is that sand I see in the substrate?

2. How deep is your substrate level?

3. What are the dimensions of the indoor closed chamber enclosure you're currently using to house all three of them in?

As previously mentioned, young tortoises will fight for food, basking areas, and sleeping areas. They will also fight for territory if and when they require that particular spot to thermoregulate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also you can put a divider down the enclosure you have now too make three separate enclosures. If you take them outside for natural sun several times a week then you don't need inside uvb. You can use Che's for heat and regular incandescent bulbs for light and added heat.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Is that Sand, the face looks bitten, bulling, soil looks to dry. Can we stick the question of what to do with a lethargic tortoise? Sorry if I'm coming off as mean, just irritated. I've built several closed chamber and kept 3 healthy sulcatas for almost a year. I'm asking a question about a lethargic tortoise.

Bee62

Germany
Is that Sand, the face looks bitten, bulling, soil looks to dry. Can we stick the question of what to do with a lethargic tortoise? Sorry if I'm coming off as mean, just irritated. I've built several closed chamber and kept 3 healthy sulcatas for almost a year. I'm asking a question about a lethargic tortoise.
Soak, soak soak with baby carrot food in the water and keep the tort warm and humid night and day at 85 F.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
When I put her in water she woke up and looked alert but fell back sleep. I raised temp from 80 to 85. I noticed she opened 1 eye first then the other. 1538690102568.jpeg1538690173519.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
Yes, they can get quickly sick in wet 76 - 66 F.

Bee62

Germany
Warm soaks can never be too long when a tort is sick but the water must stay warm all the time during the soak. I would soak the sick tort for 30 - 40 min twice a day.