Lethargic Sulcata REALLY WORRIED

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Naw it's not that, the big one came with bumps, the 2 little guys I've had them since hatchlings. I also wonder why they look pyrimided in pictures. In person the look perfectly round. I see what you're saying but no, I have closed chamber with 80%to100% humidity. If you scrape the top soil it's dark moist soil underneath.

I also soak every two days sometimes daily

Little baby torts IMO should be #1 kept warm, never below 80F , #2 be soaked DAILY. A sick baby tort #1 bump up the temp to 85F with 90% or more humid AIR (not substrate) and soak in 95-105F warm water or carrot food (if baby not eating) even 2-3 x day. That’s what I would do. I had a sick baby tort and today he is a 7lb eating monster. I wish you best of luck and patience. Tortoise recovery maybe a slow long process

Pearly

5 Year Member
How long warm soak? I think he might of got sick yesterday, you think he can get sick in 77 degree ? I live in LA and we had a so called storm yesterday, it sprinkled for 2 min and stopped. I took them out after becuae it was sunny and almost 80 degrees. But they like the concrete area, I was just thinking if it was 76 degrees concrete had to be around 66 degrees

Way too COOL for a baby tort. Temp gun is your best friend. Get one if you haven’t yet. Amazon has them for 10 bucks, home depot I think sells them for 19 or 29$ somewhere around that. When my babies were little I had digital temp/humidity gauges set on substrate in 4 corners of enclosures plus temp/humidity probes in their hides. Raising a reptile is an expensive hobby. If you can’t/don’t want to spend the money up front to do this correctly, you will later spend it in vet bills. Or.... lose your pet. Remember, sick baby- temp 85F with >90% humidity plus at least daily soaks. I soak mine for 20-30 min. You can do a longer bath just make sure the water doesn’t get cold

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm currently soaking him in pydilite mixed with carrots gerbert. He looks way more alert then yesterday. I hope he pulls through. I'm glad he pooped. I was worried he couldn't go.

Please tell me I didn't mess up. I just noticed you said to put the pydilite in his soak water. I'm actually soaking him in pure pydilite. No water. That's ok right?

Ok so I should give him 3 one hour soaks a day with one of the soaks being pydilate right ? It's ok if I put carrot gerbert in all 3 soaks ?

It's looking good tho. I didn't wanna lose the little guy.
View attachment 253384View attachment 253385View attachment 253386

Awwwwww! Love seeing these images!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks you, these little guys mean a lot to me. I got tank and scooter in February, a couple months later my dad passed. I have a bunch of pictures with my dad with tank and scooter. That's why I didn't wanna lose the little guy.

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Just stick to this forum and do what people on here advise. It will maximize your chances of raising healthy torts. How about couple years down the road? 3 sulcata torts will need LOTS of outdoor space. Are you ready for that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like things are looking good. I would now keep the temp no lower then 85 for a couple more weeks at least. I would stop the carrot and piedialyte soaks as long as he keeps eating. Give him at least one regular plain warm water soak daily. The second you think he is declining start the piedialyte soaks but mix with water about 50/50. If he stops eating or won't open eyes, start the baby food soaks too. Once you think he is 100% better, keep the temp 85 for one more week then you can lower it to 80 but never lower. So happy he seems to be doing a lot better. You did a great job.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Sorry for the late response. A little after 24 hours later he was back to 100%. I'm sorry for responding late, started a new job at UPS. Im so glad because I haven't worked since April. It sucked so bad when my tort got sick and I only had 60$. And getting declined for those pet credit cards made me feel like crap. Thanks for everybody's input. To the person asking about what will I do when they grow up. I actually have my brother and sister who ask me weekly about them. My bro and sis both own their own house with giant yards. They will both get a tort and I'll keep the 3rd. Im keeping the smallest one, Scooter. Im only waiting for them to get around 11 inches. Or until their maturity makes them aggressive. I dont want to give them the tort and have a hawk fly away with it. I also wanna give them the tort when they only gotta soak it weekly. They both want the torts now but I tell them it's a lot of work. I honestly spend a hour or more a day tending to the little guys. I dont mind it. Love the little guys