Update on my first tortoise: Hemi

Intricate

5 Year Member
Picked up Hemi when he was 1 month old at the beginning of december. He is now 5 months old or so. He is very active and seems to know when his breakfast and soaks are.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• velinstapic20140416_110243.jpg
    velinstapic20140416_110243.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20140415_141742.jpg
    20140415_141742.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20140415_141640.jpg
    20140415_141640.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
That is lots of growth for 5 months. Very nice looking little one.

Intricate

5 Year Member
I thought it seemed like he was growing at a quick rate as well compared to some of the pics I've seen on here of others.

I keep him in a large storage type bin and the lights were kept about 8 inches from his shell, per my exotic vet that I work with, who happens to be listed on the list somewhere on this forum. I recently moved him into a larger/taller bin since that 8inch became 7, close to 6. I figured thats why his shell was showing some pyramiding just on the top portion of him, since his sides are so smooth. Was he drying out too quickly being so close?
He gets fed grass and greens and I manage to grow some grass/plants in his enclosure under the UVB light as well. He gets soaked every morning while I'm putting together his morning meal. Small amount of calcium sprinkled on top of his food each day as well as 2 soaked kibbles of Mazuri which he is crazy about. I've never given him any fruit or "treat". His lights are on for about 12-14 hours per day and during the winter I kept a heat lamp on one portion of his container which made that side stay at about 90 degress F during the night rather then 60. And the cooler side dropped to about 65 degrees, which he was rarely ever on.

The new container I have him in... the humidity stays between 80 degrees and 95 degrees, which is basically the same as his old container. Also the basking area is about 95-100 degrees and goes to about 80 degrees during the day in the cooler half. I live in Arizona and its amazingly hot here!

I picked Hemi up from Andrew at ATC and have had no problems with Hemi. He came parasite free as well.
I can post pics of his closed chamber if you'd like.

Let me know if you guys have any other advice at all, I appreciate it!

Jeskie

5 Year Member
I would like to see the new container. Great looking tortoise

Intricate

5 Year Member
The short box was the one I just replaced. He was in this from when I got him in December up until 2 weeks ago.

The new (Have not replaced moss/fake leaves yet.. He liked to use those as a bathroom whenever he could... pretty nastay):

staring contests between Hemi and Bentley happen often...