First Tortoise - 2nd Attempt at Enclosure

Intricate

5 Year Member
So as my other post stated, this little leo is my first tortoise. He is roughly 1 month old and I've had him since Wednesday. His first enclosure was a cement tub with rabbit pellets, some hides, and a water dish, I later put in a humid hide but realized that wasn't enough.

So this is what I have now and I have pictures provided below.

I have him set up in a rubbermaid tub purchased from Home Depot. Substrate is coir/cypress mulch and sphagnum moss. Also a water dish and his food dish.. As well as two hides (small plant pots), one on each side.
Am I doing it right?

I read Tom's post but would like to get opinions as well. I don't have a hygrometer, I've ordered one online, though. The temp under the heat lamp usually sits between 90-100 degrees.
*Note: I cut out 2 large holes in the plastic lid so nothing is between the lights and the substrate.

Still no name yet.. I should have a poll or something, haha
Cant decide..

Hemi, Fender, Tread, Bumper, Decal... I dont know!

Attachments

• Enclosure2.jpg
    Enclosure2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 103
  • encloure.jpg
    encloure.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 104
  • leo2.jpg
    leo2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 97
  • leo.jpg
    leo.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 103

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Be careful with the heat lamps directly on top of the plastic lid, I did the same thing with my torts tanks (have the heavy duty Rubbermaid roughneck tubs) and the light started melting the plastic. I took one of those metal mesh tops meant to sit on top of a glass aquarium and put it in between the lights and the tub lid. Keeps the humidity in just fine [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Your lil leopard is adorable!

PS- I vote to name your little one Hemi [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would line the rim of the hole cut outs with tin foil. Will help keep plastic from melting. Also, be sure the actual heating element or light does it sit right over plastic. I would also bury the water dish to be level with top of substrate. Be sure you have a good thermometer, I would be afraid the box is too low, tort too close to lights heat. Be sure you are nt using the coil type bulbs and it is an improvement from what you said you started with. I would look into the taller larger boxes. The ones they have out now for storing fake Xmas trees are huge. After Xmas sale they should be fairly cheap.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I posted a reply to you on another thread...lol :shy: oops

Here it is,

Much better.

One problem is the "air holes". You shouldn't have put those in. All your humidity is going to escape out of them. cover them with some duct tape or clear tape if you don't want the eye sore.

You can get a thermometer/hydrometer combo for $9 at walmart. It also records the high and lows over a 24hr period.

Also, I see only 2 lights. What are they?

What are you using for night heat? Remember, with high humidity you must have temps above 80F at all times. But you still want it dark at night Smile

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
The lights look like the plastic socket kind the bulbs will melt them . Look into getting the ceramic socket kind made for a lot of heat.
Your little one is too cute, I have two blonde Leo hatchlings myself.