Dog grabbed Hemi and ran!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
Dog dug and snatched Hemi my beloved dessert tortoise (and ate through his pen wire!!). He's ok!! But his shell was Damaged around two edge areas. He was bleeding there too- almost like a scrape. Gosh I spent so much time helping him and now this. He seems to be ok-- but is there anything I can do for these scrapes and two edges that are broken? I dont want to cause him more pain. Will they grow back soon? They were chipped. So sad :( poor little man was in shock and so was I!

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
SailingMystic said:
Dog dug and snatched Hemi my beloved dessert tortoise (and ate through his pen wire!!). He's ok!! But his shell was Damaged around two edge areas. He was bleeding there too- almost like a scrape. Gosh I spent so much time helping him and now this. He seems to be ok-- but is there anything I can do for these scrapes and two edges that are broken? I dont want to cause him more pain. Will they grow back soon? They were chipped. So sad :( poor little man was in shock and so was I!

If his shell was bleeding take him to a vet and get the shell sealed.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I bathed him and the blood is like a scratch for you and I. He isn't bleeding now. He has scratches. The vet is closed now-- can I do something at home to help?
What is strange is that there was no blood until he stuck his head out....

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I would try to keep him warm, maybe put him on paper towels for substrate so his wounds stay clean until you can get him to the vet.

I'm sure someone with more experience will offer some more/better advice soon. Good luck!!

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Laurie said:
I would try to keep him warm, maybe put him on paper towels for substrate so his wounds stay clean until you can get him to the vet.

I'm sure someone with more experience will offer some more/better advice soon. Good luck!!

Thanks!! He's on a clean surface and inside - warm we have chlorhexidine solution from the vet and we are researching it now-- it's a antiseptic used to fight infection. I was using this on his shell before-- I'll apply some now. So shocked about this!! We never saw a dog eat through heavy gauge wire - so fast-- !

Ps I'll page the vet in the morning. He looks good now! He's clean and active. He's such a love. I was so happy he was doing well. I looked at him good and there are no cracks. One broken edge and scrapes. I really think we got lucky. Never again. We are working to reinforce the pen now. I never saw a dog do anything like this!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Glad he is doing well, sounds like you have done well for him.
That is bizzarre, must have been such a shock for you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am so happy to hear he is good now....I would not change too much of his world right now...what I mean is that he has already experienced an assault and too much change in a place/enclosure he is use to and feels safe in would only add to his stress....if he has no weeping sores nor open wounds he will likely be fine in his regular indoor set up....

I would also suggest bumping his temps to no cooler than 80 both day and night for about a week to ten days and I would also soak him every day in a clean warm bath...then I would go over the scratched/scraped area and edges of the broke off shell with the antiseptic (also make sure that the broken edge of the shell is noticed scraping his legs to cause other wounds) and then I would offer food/grazing time as usual....

Again, I am so happy he has come out with what sounds like minor damages...

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Thank you!

Not changing his world too much is the best course. Here's why: his shell took very well to the meds overnight! He went straight to his food then stopped and didn't move right before the first bite. If its possible for a tortoise to have a concussion I feel this is what he may have. He's cautious - blinking a lot and I'm sure in pain.

He has one very rough edge in the front and two in the back. After he heals I'll work on smoothing it out. The vet showed me how to do this- if i feel up to it. She can do it - and i think that may be what i do. He needs down time. Poor thing! His upbeat happy personality is gone. I just hope it returns-- and soon. The dog is a dog we rescued from the oil crisis and she has been watching Hemi a lot lately. I think when she saw him digging and borrowing it triggered something in her to pursue him. But this wasn't an easy task-- she had to dig 6 inches and break the wire pen! My husband said it only took 4 minutes! If it wasn't for him calmly running quietly to get him from her mouth when he did she wouldn't be here! I would've yelled and ran after her-- and that would've made her bite down harder.

Thank goodness my husband didn't panic. Didn't make a sound!! Just ran after her and caught up with her in time!!

Thank you all very much!! I'm still just shocked :(... But I've already repaired the pen. I even used pretty boulders that the dog can't move. Now hoping he eats this morning....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What a tragedy. Good thing he's ok. Make sure and clean te scrapes and keep them clean and sterile especially if their is exposed tissue under the shell. Even a little scrape. Don't want to allow an infection. Clean with betadine or chlorohexidine scrub. You can get a product at Walgreens called hibiclens it's a chlorohexidine product. Rinse the area then apply and scrub softly then rinse it off and put ointment on it to keep sealed. Do this everyday until it heals. Make sure if you give him a bath to do this after his bath. Baths can have dirty water lingering in them from all sorts of tiny organisms you can't see. He should be just fine though. Glad you got him back and it's not super major.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
SailingMystic said:
Thank you!

Not changing his world too much is the best course. Here's why: his shell took very well to the meds overnight! He went straight to his food then stopped and didn't move right before the first bite. If its possible for a tortoise to have a concussion I feel this is what he may have. He's cautious - blinking a lot and I'm sure in pain.

He has one very rough edge in the front and two in the back. After he heals I'll work on smoothing it out. The vet showed me how to do this- if i feel up to it. She can do it - and i think that may be what i do. He needs down time. Poor thing! His upbeat happy personality is gone. I just hope it returns-- and soon. The dog is a dog we rescued from the oil crisis and she has been watching Hemi a lot lately. I think when she saw him digging and borrowing it triggered something in her to pursue him. But this wasn't an easy task-- she had to dig 6 inches and break the wire pen! My husband said it only took 4 minutes! If it wasn't for him calmly running quietly to get him from her mouth when he did she wouldn't be here! I would've yelled and ran after her-- and that would've made her bite down harder.

Thank goodness my husband didn't panic. Didn't make a sound!! Just ran after her and caught up with her in time!!

Thank you all very much!! I'm still just shocked :(... But I've already repaired the pen. I even used pretty boulders that the dog can't move. Now hoping he eats this morning....

I'm so glad your husband was able to rescue your tortoise!!

But please remember any dog can/will do this. Rescue or purebred, big or small. It doesn't matter. She was just being a dog. I have a 55 lb. rescue mutt and a 13.5 lb. purebred shih tzu. My mutt has showed no interest in my turtles or lizard for that matter. My shih tzu gets so focused if he sees them he forgets everything and everyone around him.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Laura said:
If he was dropped, he could have internal damage you cant see... slow and easy.....

This is what I'm looking for-- any changes. He was in his shell so long and deep that it felt like he couldn't breathe. Now he's in his heated space sunbathing- walking around slowly. He's not eating yet... I'll keep you posted!

lisa127 said:
I'm so glad your husband was able to rescue your tortoise!!

But please remember any dog can/will do this. Rescue or purebred, big or small. It doesn't matter. She was just being a dog. I have a 55 lb. rescue mutt and a 13.5 lb. purebred shih tzu. My mutt has showed no interest in my turtles or lizard for that matter. My shih tzu gets so focused if he sees them he forgets everything and everyone around him.

I learned this lesson-- I never thought a dog would bite through wire. I thought i had a safe place. And the dog was not bleeding?! You should see the damage. I should've posted pictures. I am glad it wasn't worse.... :(

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
when I first moved into my present house, my dog was relegated to the side yard - fenced in away from the smaller dog... we wanted to keep them apart until we were sure Bear would be gentle with Katy. Imagine our surprise when we walked out in the morning to find Bear and Katy sitting patiently at the door...... Bear was maybe 8 months old newfie mix, and had destroyed the chain link gate to get out into the yard... I don't think I'll ever underestimate the power of a determined dog ...

Glad your tort seems to be doing well.......

teri

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Thanks!! Hemi was happy last nigh after his soak! His shell is doing well-- thanks to the advice of everyone here! I researched dog attacks on turtles and couldn't believe how common this is. I thought I was protecting him--- you should see his pen! And we stay outside with our dogs while they are out. Like I said it only took 3 to 4 minutes for Maggie to get Hemi. I'm still waiting for him to eat :(....

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so glad that Hemi is doing better. What a frightening experience for you. I am so glad that your husband saw what happened and rescued Hemi in time.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Carol S said:
I am so glad that Hemi is doing better. What a frightening experience for you. I am so glad that your husband saw what happened and rescued Hemi in time.

Thank you! :) fingers crossed he ate today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.