Uncle Bri Update

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Homestead ,FL
I too have an aldabra from the same source. Mine had the same writing on the shell. I suspect the "CE" stands for Chris Etsep maybe they mark the ones that are going to him ahead of time. Another interesting tidbit of info is that the shell shape of Unle Bri is similar to my aldabra- lacking the high dome seen in those which come from Aldabraman. It would be really neat to find someone willing to do the genetic tests and see what mix of genetics and what specific islands all of these little guys ancestors came from. This is all so fascinating to me.
-Jeff

ben awes

5 Year Member
Hey all, during my daily handling, look over, i noticed this small cut or split on the plastron of Uncle Bri. Should I be concerned?

2qn42nk.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
I'm no expert. So take my ideas with a grain of salt and do some research - but , organic cold pressed coconut oil has extreme anti- fungal and anti bacteria properties. If mine had a split like that I'd put a little on my finger and rub it in there. Maybe every few days.

Uncle bri. Updates are great !
Mike

ben awes

5 Year Member
No idea at all. I've gone over his enclosure looking for a screw tip or nail head, but it would have taken some significant pressure to do that - right? And it's sideways?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
No idea at all. I've gone over his enclosure looking for a screw tip or nail head, but it would have taken some significant pressure to do that - right? And it's sideways?

~ It almost looks like it sorta cracked outward from underneath the shell!

Alaskamike

South Florida
I will be very interested in what you discover about this little crack. The stresses on the keratin layers of the shell are tremendous as they grow. But it seems odd that a separation like that could occur across the scute and not with the " grain" if this occurred from within. Though it certainly looks like it occurred from within.

It might be possible a weakness from a deep scratch or crack you didn't notice could creat a place that could split during a period of rapid growth when shell pressures are the greatest. If I had him I would get a strong magnifying glass & bright light to see how deep this crack goes through the shell layers. This is probably what a vet would do anyway.

Preventing further separation as well as the entrance of fungal or bacterial infection would be primary. Hard to keep a tort shell clean , I know, but that opening, no matter how small leaves an entrance to both.
Keep us posted
Beautiful " baby" you've got there!

ben awes

5 Year Member
So should I bring him to the vet? Oil it? put some super glue on it?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
So should I bring him to the vet? Oil it? put some super glue on it?

~ My initial instincts is for sure not to super glue it, may trap anything inside and cause additional damage from within!

~ I have seen many different types of shell damage, rot, etc., however do not remember anything similar to yours!

~ I would opt to consult a vet, we have had cases where the outer layer was superficial and underneath had severe shell rot!

Last edited:

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I think I will sched a vet appointment. I would be shocked if it were shell rot on the inside! He's only 2yrs old and otherwise perfectly healthy. Seems unlikely, but better safe than sorry!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thanks guys. I think I will sched a vet appointment. I would be shocked if it were shell rot on the inside! He's only 2yrs old and otherwise perfectly healthy. Seems unlikely, but better safe than sorry!

~ I think that is a great idea, please keep us updated!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Uncle Bri is celebrating 1 year with us! (which actually makes him 2 years old). He arrived 1 year ago today so I thought today would be a good day for an Uncle Bri update. He seems to be doing great, has a super sweet personality. Is still quite shy, but he is gentle and interested, and beginning to not steer clear of me as much as he used to. Of course, he’s an aldabra – so he is growing like a weed! When he arrived on Sept. 9, ’13 he was 5.5” long x 4.25” wide x 1 pound 2 oz. At the time I was told he was about 1 year old (hard to tell). Today he is 10.5” long x 7.5” wide x 8 pounds 2 oz. I can’t quite believe it. My Leopards took 5 years to reach 10” and that was fast growth! Here are a pile of photos of him taken yesterday and this morning after a bath.

ma9r35.jpg

2dri79c.jpg

14nmkbp.jpg

2a7inhw.jpg

15nr783.jpg

j0d3sm.jpg

504n76.jpg

1z3tab5.jpg

vn2kxg.jpg
He looks like he has a Mohawk! What a gorgeous tortoise you have :)

ben awes

5 Year Member
Trying a short clip of Uncle Bri -

(oops, I tried and failed, will try again shortly)

ben awes

5 Year Member
Trying to post a quick clip of Uncle Bri again - hope this works! (fyi, it is hard to tell from the video but he is on a slight incline which creates a bit more challenge to get this treat!)

View My Video

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So cute. And what a good idea on cactus placement.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Shell split! Yes, took him to the vet and she was totally not concerned. She felt it was very shallow and looked clean and that it did not need to be treated. I'm keeping an eye on it but feel much better.