Uncle Bri Update

hmmca

He looks great Ben, has he been able to get out much? I also live in a northern climate and if you could PM me I would love to know your indoor set up ( lighting and so on)

Thanks Greg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Nice update. All the new growths have been smooth. You have raised him well.

ben awes

5 Year Member
He looks great Ben, has he been able to get out much? I also live in a northern climate and if you could PM me I would love to know your indoor set up ( lighting and so on)

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg, I don't know how to personal message? I'm not ignoring you, just been busy. Happy to talk about what I've done, but I'm the last person to be considered an Aldabra expert!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Just and update! We have had Uncle Bri for 300 days now. He is 22 months old. He is 6 pounds 7 ounces, 9.5" long x 7" wide, and seems to be doing great. I think he is growing too fast actually! I feed him everyday but maybe he should be fed every other day? It's very hard to NOT feed him because he loves to eat! His diet is mostly Orchard Hay from Oxbow and the new Mazuri. He is fanatic about the new Mazuri and will pick through everything to eat it first. I supplement on a rotating basis calcium, calcium with D3, and reptile vitamine - and cactus, carrots, bananas, strawberries, and other fresh veggies weekly. I bring him outside everyday in the warm months. We have had a very wet and humid spring and summer which is awesome. He's pretty shy still, but from day one I have been trying to clicker train him. Every time i set out food I use the clicker to alert him. Hopefully that will pay off when he is 150 lbs! I am down to just 2 torts in my life now, Uncle Bri and my last held back P. Pardalis Leopard. I sold my breeders this spring and have sold all of this years hatchlings except for this one hold back. It was the best of the batch with a perfect shape and unique pattern. I have put Uncle Bri and the little one together for the past month and they seem to be getting along swimmingly. Of course it give both of them more space. Eventually Uncle Bri will get to big I imagine, but its hard not to believe they like another living thing around them. Here are some recent shots.

2a6mvxe.jpg

so7ibk.jpg

11w6ki8.jpg

p8yes.jpg

10ztj6q.jpg

1y1unk.jpg

1zm2pzb.jpg

hmmca

Looks great, I need to build something like that for mine soon! What do you put on top the orchard grass?

Best Greg

ben awes

5 Year Member
Nope, my leopard is captive bred several generations and is healthy. If one of them gets something then ill separate. Otherwise it's worth the risk. ;). They seem to like each other so far!

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
Just and update! We have had Uncle Bri for 300 days now. He is 22 months old. He is 6 pounds 7 ounces, 9.5" long x 7" wide, and seems to be doing great. I think he is growing too fast actually! I feed him everyday but maybe he should be fed every other day? It's very hard to NOT feed him because he loves to eat! His diet is mostly Orchard Hay from Oxbow and the new Mazuri. He is fanatic about the new Mazuri and will pick through everything to eat it first. I supplement on a rotating basis calcium, calcium with D3, and reptile vitamine - and cactus, carrots, bananas, strawberries, and other fresh veggies weekly. I bring him outside everyday in the warm months. We have had a very wet and humid spring and summer which is awesome. He's pretty shy still, but from day one I have been trying to clicker train him. Every time i set out food I use the clicker to alert him. Hopefully that will pay off when he is 150 lbs! I am down to just 2 torts in my life now, Uncle Bri and my last held back P. Pardalis Leopard. I sold my breeders this spring and have sold all of this years hatchlings except for this one hold back. It was the best of the batch with a perfect shape and unique pattern. I have put Uncle Bri and the little one together for the past month and they seem to be getting along swimmingly. Of course it give both of them more space. Eventually Uncle Bri will get to big I imagine, but its hard not to believe they like another living thing around them. Here are some recent shots.

2a6mvxe.jpg

so7ibk.jpg

11w6ki8.jpg

p8yes.jpg

10ztj6q.jpg

1y1unk.jpg

1zm2pzb.jpg
Uncle Bri is one handsome dude! I know what you mean by being hard NOT to feed... hahaha. I often find myself judging the size of the little giants... this is usually followed by a nice meal offering lol. Your Uncle Bri looks like a content and happy Aldabra. Just like Uncle Bri and your leopard, my yearling Aldabra was raised with a hatchling radiated... The gentle nature of Aldabras to their own kind as well as others is quite remarkable.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Just getting better and better everyday.

Thank you for the update.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Looks great, I need to build something like that for mine soon! What do you put on top the orchard grass?

Best Greg

Greg, I'm not sure what you mean "on top of the orchard grass"? I feed him orchard grass that I buy by the bale. I sprinkle supplements on top. Thanks, Ben

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks Ben, that is what I meant ( the supplement) what do you use?
I supplement with calcium, calcium with D3, and vitamin. I think the brand is Reptical. I buy in the 5 or 7 pound buckets from Big Apple Herp. I suppose there are other places to buy it as well. The stuff is ridiculously expensive if you buy the 4 ounce jars. I rotate which on i sprinkle on the their food each day, and I skip days on a regular basis as well. I raised all my leopards this way and they seemed happy, but I am no reptile nutritionist so I don't really know what's best. Maybe this would be a good new thread to start for aldabra's - see what folks are doing?

Ben

Flipper

MO, USA
Questions? Sorry for being nosy o_O

The white writing on Bri's shell.... Did you put it there? Is it white out? Do you and others use it to differentiate your torts?

ben awes

5 Year Member
Questions? Sorry for being nosy o_O

The white writing on Bri's shell.... Did you put it there? Is it white out? Do you and others use it to differentiate your torts?

Good question - I'm sure others have wondered as well. It was there when I got him, I did not put it on him. I purchased him from Chris Etsep (sorry Aldabraman!) and I think he imports his? I think the writing is "US" and "CE" but honestly, I do not know what the CE stands for. I assume the US stands for (wait for it, wait for it).....US! :) but, i could be wrong there as well! I have never bothered to ask. And, I have not removed it because I don't want to harm him or scratch his shell, and I like that is shows me how much growth he has.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Good question - I'm sure others have wondered as well. It was there when I got him, I did not put it on him. I purchased him from Chris Etsep (sorry Aldabraman!) and I think he imports his? I think the writing is "US" and "CE" but honestly, I do not know what the CE stands for. I assume the US stands for (wait for it, wait for it).....US! :) but, i could be wrong there as well! I have never bothered to ask. And, I have not removed it because I don't want to harm him or scratch his shell, and I like that is shows me how much growth he has.

* Yes, he imports, usually from one specific source. I think they are shipped that way for some reason, honestly have no idea. If you let your finger nail grow and gently scratch, many have told me it eventually scratches off.

* I purchased a few imports from Sam last year, he marks his also. I simply used my finger nail and his choice of paint came right off with little effort. The customer i got them for asked me to remove the paint before his kids saw them!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Uncle Bri is celebrating 1 year with us! (which actually makes him 2 years old). He arrived 1 year ago today so I thought today would be a good day for an Uncle Bri update. He seems to be doing great, has a super sweet personality. Is still quite shy, but he is gentle and interested, and beginning to not steer clear of me as much as he used to. Of course, he’s an aldabra – so he is growing like a weed! When he arrived on Sept. 9, ’13 he was 5.5” long x 4.25” wide x 1 pound 2 oz. At the time I was told he was about 1 year old (hard to tell). Today he is 10.5” long x 7.5” wide x 8 pounds 2 oz. I can’t quite believe it. My Leopards took 5 years to reach 10” and that was fast growth! Here are a pile of photos of him taken yesterday and this morning after a bath.

ma9r35.jpg

2dri79c.jpg

14nmkbp.jpg

2a7inhw.jpg

15nr783.jpg

j0d3sm.jpg

504n76.jpg

1z3tab5.jpg

vn2kxg.jpg