Trying to decide between Leopard and Sulcata

Anna!

5 Year Member
Like the title says, I’m trying to decide between a leopard and a sulcata. I had a sulcata about 4 years ago and through a series of unfortunate events she passed away. I’m finally ready to try again but have been thinking about a leopard this time. I know their temperaments and size are two big differences between the two, but other than that is care significantly different? I’ve been reading up on Leopards and so far they sound the same but I don’t want to make any mistakes.
thanks for any advice!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
They are about the same when they small as for the temperature, humidity, and diet.

The difference is after 5, 6 years, Sulcats will eat more and then procuce lot more "things" for you to clean up.

bNjJJLShQZGh1Qh2I4B2EA.jpg

This is my 50 lb male Sulcata provided twice, weekly.

we have group of 2.3 Leopard tortoise. 1/2 of volume by waste they produce.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Like the title says, I’m trying to decide between a leopard and a sulcata. I had a sulcata about 4 years ago and through a series of unfortunate events she passed away. I’m finally ready to try again but have been thinking about a leopard this time. I know their temperaments and size are two big differences between the two, but other than that is care significantly different? I’ve been reading up on Leopards and so far they sound the same but I don’t want to make any mistakes.
thanks for any advice!

How much room do you have to dedicate for an enclosure? Where are you located? How often will the tortoise be able to be outside? I'm not an expert but I believe size is going to be the main difference between the two species. I believe diet and husbandry requirements are very similar. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Anna!

5 Year Member
I live in Kentucky and have a large backyard as well as a shed that can be turned into a tortoise house when it’s ready. The main reason I’m thinking maybe leopard this time is because now I live in a well populated neighborhood and have a wood privacy fence (which would definitely need to be reinforced) and am concerned about it escaping or causing issues with my neighbors. Eventually I plan on moving to the country but not for about 5 years, and don’t want to cause a problem in the neighborhood.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
I have both a Leopard and a Sulcata and while I love them both, if I could do it all over again I would just stick with the Leopard. As stated previously, the messes left by Sulcata are big and often. Not to mention, once full grown the Sulcata is going to be more than a handful especially if it develops a temper.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with everything said. Care is the same between the two. Sulcata gets much bigger then the leopards. Sulcata can dig burrow and tunnels, leopards do not. Sulcata are bull dozes, leopards not so much.
I originally wanted a sulcata but decided on leopards because of the damage sulcatas can do.

Anna!

5 Year Member
I decided to go with the Leopard! I’ve assembled my enclosure and now just need to order a new little friend. Unfortunately both my husband and I just lost our jobs due to Covid-19, so a big purchase like a new tortoise will have to wait a bit. Luckily we have a big yard and garden so feeding it won’t be an issue, just the actual initial purchase itself.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I decided to go with the Leopard! I’ve assembled my enclosure and now just need to order a new little friend. Unfortunately both my husband and I just lost our jobs due to Covid-19, so a big purchase like a new tortoise will have to wait a bit. Luckily we have a big yard and garden so feeding it won’t be an issue, just the actual initial purchase itself.

Torts= hiddenexpenses! Just start scrounging on Craigslist for free stuff that you can repurpose and build with to help offset your eventual costs- Nightbox, heat, UVB, timers, infrared heat gun, temperature controllers, water dishes, flat stones to feed on--- torts nibble and you pocket! Good Luck and so sorry you were a COVID by product

Anna!

5 Year Member
I literally have every single thing all set up! I even spent a week with my lights/heating cycling through to make sure my humidity went temps were right. I just don’t have the tortoise!

Attachments

• 3894C70E-6478-4C27-ADD0-4E9F09C37152.jpeg
    3894C70E-6478-4C27-ADD0-4E9F09C37152.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10